Thread: Greenfinch (Chloris chloris)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Greenfinch (Chloris chloris)

Attached Images Attached Images

I noticed some activity in a bramble patch so I decided to hag around for a while. I exposed far to right initially and then brought the exposure down. Minimal selective sharpening applied, it soon became crunchy.

Model Name : OM-1
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 601.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO : 1000
    Exposure compensation : +1.3 EV
    Shutter : 1/2000 sec
    Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the nesting material. Head angle and sharpness good. As presented, IQ looks a bit sketchy. Was it a large crop?

The lower left corner was too messy for me, and the bird too centered. Thus the repost.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the repost Artie, I did consider such a scenario myself but I felt the original felt "original" I am not always in favour of making things looks more perfect just for the sake of it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, cute little finch and quite a mouthful!

The pose and the overall quality of the perch are pretty nice. Thorns and blooms are very interesting.

Downsides for me are the oof parts of the perch and the shadows, as well as the blue sky. Could it also use maybe a bump of exposure?

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, is this from you morning walks, nice encounter, love the nesting material.

The end of the bramble is a bit unfortunate, but cropping or some simple manipulation address that very easily. Personally I would have kept the lighter version, helps the shadow ares too and exposes more detail. Sharpness looks good, perseverance is paying off.

Just opening things up a bit and addressing the slight red/magenta I think helps, but just my take Jon.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian, Steve, I think you are right I produced many different versions and I think on reflection the brighter ones were better. The darker version tempted me because I like the rich greens but it was a bright day from what I recall. I have a skylark - maybe that will be a little better. The red magenta you mentioned Steve, I didn't notice it but now you mention it and I look back I do see it ..... same old story I think I am overthinking the processing.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, PP is all about simplicity, I think it’s just that last minute adjustment that takes it off direction. Perhaps the ‘overnight’ test is worth considering???
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Jon, PP is all about simplicity, I think it’s just that last minute adjustment that takes it off direction. Perhaps the ‘overnight’ test is worth considering???
    Most definitely

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... love it , with the nesting material and sitting in open space is great .
    Nice job done in capture . Would exclude the nesting material from sharpening
    OP is too dark for me ... I would prefer roughly Steve's version , but would skip the cleanup .

TFS Andreas

10. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post