Thread: Anna's Hummingbird

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Anna's Hummingbird

Attached Images Attached Images

I was finally able to get a hummingbird come to my flowering plant. Even though it was only a drab female Anna's Hummingbird, I still like the frame. During the hour and a half I waited in front of the flower, she only came to the plant 3 times. All the others just went straight for the feeders. Hopefully one of the other hummingbirds will come to the flower next!

Also it seems like the 7fps shooting of the D850 is not really enough for these hummingbirds. Considering they flap their wings over 50 times per second, most of my shots have the wings in undesirable positions. Fortunately, I was able to get one shot with her wings held high.

I removed some leaves from the top right corner. The pupil appeared kinda blue, so I used a mask to add some black. Raw conversion in C1 Pro, processing in PS CC and Topaz noise reduction.

Nikon D850 + 500mm PF
    1/2000s
    f/8
    ISO 4500 Auto
    EV +0.7
    Handheld
    No flash

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice. If you want more action at your flower take the feeders down!!!!

with love, artie

ps: 51MP at 30 fps with The Sony A1 is very enjoyable :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: pretty amazing for 1/2000 sec.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sharif, congrats on getting this lady!

Agree with you, the males have so much to offer; the females, not as much.

A classic pose with a beautiful flower. Sharpness feels fine and the even light helps.

Great job at 4500 ISO on the D850, I think you handled the noise well. I might have been tempted to lose a stop or two of aperture for SS, but nothing wrong with this.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sharif ... well very cool and nice capture .
    Comp and clean BG ... just lovely .

Personally I would give flower and subject a bit more tonal depth ... but not globally , use a mask to work selectively . Just my take

Nice one and TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep, take those other feeders down while you are photographing the flower setup - or at least block their port holes. Nice image overall here, glad you got one with the wings in good position.