Thread: Red Knot Scratching

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Knot Scratching

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on 26 April on the 2022 Fort DeSoto Spring IPT. Using the ankle pod technique and working off the rear monitor I used the hand held I used the hand held Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS lens with the Sony FE 1.4x Teleconverter (at 840mm) with the One, the Sony a1 Mirrorless Camera. ISO 1000. Exposure determined via Zebras with ISO on the Thumb Wheel: RawDigger showed that the raw file brightness was dead solid perfect: 1/1000 sec. at f/9 (wide open) in Manual mode. AWB at 723am on a clear sunny morning.
    Tracking: Spot S/AF-C with Bird-Eye/Face Detection performed perfectly.

The Sony 200-600 with the a1 is an amazing outfit. On sunny days it does just fine with the 1.4X TC.

Learn more and see two other image in the Red Knot Spectacular blog post here.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely low angle. Colors are beautiful. And yeah, if I wasn't invested in Canon and was starting from scratch, the a1 and 200-600 would be amazing. Only reason I don't contemplate
    a switch now is that I cannot afford the Sony 600/4 in addition. My Canon 600 II IS is heavy as ****, but at least it's paid for!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Dorian. It is worse than that. Though The Sony 600 GM is only one ounce lighter than the Canon 600 iii, all the weight in the rear. Though I will be 76 next month, I am routinely beginning to hand hold The Sony 600 GM almost always with the 1.4X TC. and make sharp images static birds at 1200mm is easy. Don't forget that Arash hand holds it with the 2X for flight ...

artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sadly this image is , apart from nice colors , not working .
    At least as posted the image is not sharp , eye is closed and I can't see the scratching ... the leg is somewhere in the middle of nowhere . Just my take .
    Sorry Arthur ... but TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, such a cutie!

I really like the layout on the this one. Closed eye is occasionally fine w me and this one works. Love how the frame layers from the broken reflection, bubbles and up to the pretty blue. Also love that the beak cleared the bubbles.

It feels just a touch soft to my eyes, but close. Would've been great to have that foot IF, but still works. TY for sharing!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No issue with the foot being where it is as this is an obvious scratching pose. I do wish it was a bit more "frozen", but man these guys scratch so much faster than I can even on my worst itch! Nice low angle of course. I'm wondering if it could go a tad darker overall? It would bring out even more richness in the colours? Neat image of a behavior we do not see posted to often.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Artie, the image appears to me to be a little over-exposed and needs a little more contrast. Applying both of those and I don't see the image as soft. I like the image, the blurred leg shows the motion of scratching. The closed eye is different but I know from experience that when birds scratch often the eye is closed to prevent damage to the eye. Thank you for sharing. Here is a edit... WDYT?
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nicer frame Artie, works for me. I'd sharpen the face and plumage a bit more but not change the colors/contrast.
    TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

Like it all except the sharpness, and maybe a sliver less exposure, even though the whites are fine. So,

I moved the black set point on a curves layer from 0 to ~ 15, which didn't block any blacks, but added the impression of a bit more sharpness and I liked the effect on the blues as well.

Great POV.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi artie, the colors and atmosphere are very natural. I enjoyed it. congratulations as in the photo. A little soft but still a masterful work. Congrats on 76. Hoping to see 80.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, all who commented. Here is a repost with the curved pulled down plus a bit more work on the BLUEs.

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

I prefer your repost, just a bit more visual impact.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

repost nails the sharpness for me
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost looks great on my machine. I liked the original, but the repost really pops.
    david pugsley PHOTOGRAPHY
    http://www.davidpugsleyphoto.com