Thread: Prothonotary Warbler

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Prothonotary Warbler

While passing through Tennessee on our cross-country pet-sitting adventure, I spent a wonderful morning at the
    Meeman-Shelby State Forest outside Memphis. The place was loaded with warblers, so I found a decent perch
    in a roadside clearing, clipped my speaker to it, and reeled in this cooperative subject.

I've gone for something very different here, mainly because I couldn't make a landscape crop work with OOF green
    bit to the right of the bird in the original frame (full frame shown below). There wasn't a lot of light under the canopy,
    so I was at f/5.6, a setting which didn't leave me with much DOF on the perch (it's a fallen tree wrapped by woody
    vines). Given that the bird was looking up, into the perfect BG, I decided to highlight the negative space above the
    bird rather than keep more of OOF perch. I love the interplay of yellow and green, and I'll be curious to see what folks
    think of my reasoning and results.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/500 at f/5.6, ISO 2000
    Processed in LR CC and Topaz. Cloned a few tiny white spots on bill, but that's it.

Name:  prothonotary warbler up 043022.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  379.7 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Full frame, straight out of camera. I think this would look decent if I cloned just the bare stick a upper right and left the green thingy as is.
    I think that would look completely natural/real. Not like some obvious/perfect set-up, right?

Name:  DCAP5245.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  553.0 KB

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

MUCH prefer the second image - not surprised eh??!! I would remove the twig on RHS as you suggested, maybe a slice off the base to around the level of your name.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Dorian, based on the techs and size of crop I think you are close to the edge for IQ. The presentation has more of a 'studio' look & feel, especially with the solid green backdrop, I think having more habitat would work better. The brighter HLs and dark contrasts in the logs are clashing, softening them down brings more of a natural look. The subject is nice and bright, but can't help feel the yellow is flooding/bleeding and so finer detail couple with the crop it's hard, but there is detail both in the eye & beak & grey flight feathers, so perhaps it is just how you have adjusted the yellow? The crop for me isn't working, too much negative space above unless used editorially, 10 x 8 I think is perhaps more sympathetic???

Regarding the FF posting I personally find this far more appealing, based on RoT's and some simple PP I think you have more of a winner. Crop format is of course personal and other options are are available.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool shot Dorian ... and i really have no idea why you cropped in that much .
    The original is way better on all counts !!!!! IMHO .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting that no one minds the OOF sprouting plant! I love the color it lends, I just didn't think it was worth including because it looks haphazard, being OOF and all.

Here's how I might render the wider view which you all have kindly suggested. Steve, I'm not willing to desat the bird to get more detail. It rips the soul out of this
    species. I've not added and sat or vib to this newer version (I added a touch of both to the previous).

Lifted the shadows under the individual vies. Also tamed a few highlights.

Shown as 16x10

Name:  prothonotary warbler wide 043022.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  420.0 KB

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I'm not willing to desat the bird to get more detail. It rips the soul out of this species. I've not added and sat or vib to this newer version (I added a touch of both to the previous).
    Dorian, I didn't say that, you can retain the vibrance and impact, still leaving more detail to extract, but the OP is too limiting to have sufficient data to work with, but you have answered my thoughts in your RP. Interesting, I had gone 10x16, but felt folk would find the wood to dominate.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pane #6 is just right for me. I like the crop, the great pose; and you've retained the rich yellow that makes this species so special.