Thread: Reef shark at night

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Reef shark at night

Name:  reef-at-night-BPN.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  571.1 KB

I had the chance to do a night dive with the sharks recently - unfortunately the tigers had left the area by that time because that would have been some experience having them sneak up on me... However, tis reef shark was good enough to give me a close pass

Nikon D500
    8-15mm fisheye @ 15mm
    ISO 400
    1/250th f 5.6
    Nauticam housing with Retra strobes

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A version with the belly tones brightened a touch - I think I prefer this one

Name:  reef-at-night-2-BPN.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  552.9 KB

Mike

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't know which I prefer Mike both look very good to me. Again you have shown the sandpaper like texture of the shark skin, I also like the ghostly fish in the background - super shot.
    Were you in a safety cage? I know the sharks are supposed to be relatively inquisitive as opposed to dangerous so long as you know how to read their body language and respond accordingly. Squid have squid ink... I wonder what I would be squirting!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I don't know which I prefer Mike both look very good to me. Again you have shown the sandpaper like texture of the shark skin, I also like the ghostly fish in the background - super shot.
    Were you in a safety cage? I know the sharks are supposed to be relatively inquisitive as opposed to dangerous so long as you know how to read their body language and respond accordingly. Squid have squid ink... I wonder what I would be squirting!!
    Cheers Jon, I think when I raised the mid tones a little the background fish came into play and I really like that aspect.

Like you say, its about reading body language, and these guys were very well behaved - even with food in the water. We don't hand feed, its all scent that comes through holes in a metal crate so its not like its a free for all.

No cages though on this trip - I have to go in one later this year for the Great Whites but this was all about being in the open and actually interacting with the sharks, some of whom love a good rub of the skin. Heres a lift off a go pro showing the setup, with me bottom right. Poor quality but gives you an idea

Name:  BPNScreen-Shot-2022-02-21-at-10.41.20-AM.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  383.0 KB

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike ... cool shot , second one for me !!!
    Nice work and I bet still thrilling adventure with these big boys and girls .

TFS Andreas

6. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the Go Pro shot Mike, good to see the situation, I appreciate the excitement this sort of photography would give, it must be very rewarding.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike -- Great to see you posting your underwater images, missed them here on BPN. Hope you are doing well !

Coming to the image , i liked the subject up close with the monotones making it standout. Nice details and well framed.

TFS !

9. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a shot Mike! I loved it. The second one works for me. Stunning shark with that dark BG! Super work!

11. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, Mike!!!
    Second one for me too such wonderful image and I like the POV, super framing, well exposed and good detail. Love the little fishies against the dark background, they give context. Nicely processed too.

We live in such an amazing world but most people don't get to see and experience its wonders. Thank you for sharing this with us

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

13. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post