Thread: Red Squirrel for coffee table book ....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Squirrel for coffee table book ....

Attached Images Attached Images

at least the image design would work , LOL .

Hi folks might not work for all of you ... I just liked the idea of this could be in a book , on a double page .
    The " shy " Squirrel forced me to think so , as I was walking around my " Squirrel spot " and this guy popped up behind the tree . Just letting me shoot a quick short burst ... then disappearing behind the tree and down into some shrub .
    I just like the overall massive tree and the tiny Squirrel .... leaning out into the big wide world of the local park .

Canon EOS R3
    EF 200 - 400 IS L at 560 mm
    HH

F 5,6 ; Iso 12.800 ; 1/ 1600 sec ; man exp

Processed with C1 and PSCC 2022 ; slightly cropped from three sides ; LHS is as shot .

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous postings

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh but it works for me 100 % ! Love the composition with all that space and BG colours are great. Subject is a cutie, check those tufts !

Great techs, nice IQ, lovely detail where it matters. Well exposed and super timing. Just awesome

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good thinking Andreas, as you are thinking about the end result prior to capture.

Colours work and you were correct to place the subject on the RHS, however as presented there is just too much space, as a DPS with some text, then yes, it will work.

TFS
    Steve

PS Some whites look a bit hot/recovered.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you both ... Gabriela and Steve

@ Steve ... understand your thoughts about the empty space , but i can see the text in my mind so it does work for me . Next time i place some random text .... that it will work for you too

Will check the whites , could have happened in post ... as the raw is perfectly exposed with no clipping at all .

Cheers andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve ... understand your thoughts about the empty space , but i can see the text in my mind so it does work for m

As I said Andreas, without text it doesn't, with it does, but we are viewing on it without therefore the crop has to be different..

Andreas, for 26+ years this was my living, Commercial advertising and Design so it kind of gives me the edge. I guess I must have been good, sold and retired at 45.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve .... you might have been good and i am glad for you, that you have been able to retire that early . I still have to go another 10 years .... if i stay half way healthy , so i might have been not as good as you . That´s life ....

And i am with you about the crop , but i still like it .... as presented . Plus i am limited with the available data .... as this is already cropped by 20 % , so i do not want to crop more .

In the end it is compromise .

And the " idea" of the " coffee table book " was more born by the limited options , as this was more a grab shot . Seen the squirrel , camera to eye and fired four frames and the Squirrel disappeared behind the tree

Cheers andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, it was a little, as we say 'tongue in cheek', but I do stick to my comments.

There is no harm is thinking with options and kudos for doing so, that's why I shoot stuff that is never posted here because it's shot in a particular way with space elsewhere. You can't really post something with areas of space left for text etc, as the whole balance is out of kilter and you don't truly see the end product and so first impressions it just doesn't work/look right. You can see it, I can see it, but 'Joe public' wouldn't.

FWIW: When submitting to outside agencies you have to supply FF without sharpening. FF because you never know how it's going to be used at the end point and how the 'art director' envisages the crop to suit the end game.

Build on this concept and I will look forward to receiving a book in the near future.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve ... no need to step back with your thoughts , you know i am ok with thoughtfull comments .... and even with " tongue in cheek " comments

Regarding agencies etc .... no interest on my side , i just want to have fun outside and love shooting my subjects . My images do not appear in public , other than BPN . Just some friends and family will see my work , mostly in form of a print to hang in their homes .

A book .... well , you can wait till you become " old & grey " by then , LOL .

It is all about fun and spending truck loads of Euros for my hard earned money ..... living on small amount for daily life .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just broadening the scope of conversation and yes, we are going off topic.

It is all about fun and spending truck loads of Euros for my hard earned money ..... living on small amount for daily life
    Yep, we have all been close to the 'dark side' and come back, so having fun, exchanging thoughts, POV and learning is all part and parcel, you can't buy experience, but enjoying the journey, (irrespective of using grey socks for a greyscale POV ), is paramount.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the exchange .....

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the idea but I think maybe include the full width of the tree, as it is it seems a little unbalanced for me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon ... I do not have the tree in full width , is a real big tree .