Thread: Red-bellied Woodpecker

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-bellied Woodpecker

Attached Images Attached Images

Took this shot in the wood behind my house; Gaston County, North Carolina. Late afternoon (~4pm) sun was starting to go down behind some clouds.

Sony A6400, 200-600mm G lens, hand-held

1/500s f/6.3 600mm ISO 3200

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Striking view of this bird. I grew up with these in Philly but we don't have them in California. As for the image, the bird is way too tight in the frame. A looser crop would help the subject breath a bit. I'm also not sure how much NR you applied. You needed some at ISO 3200, but the bird feathers look too smooth as presented.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

These guys are rare up here, and when one showed up last winter it garnered a lot of attention from the birding community. Nice closeup, but I agree with Dorian's critique. Zooming out would have good here, unless there was stuff outside the current frame that you did not want to include. Still, a nice close up look at it.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Larry, good looking Red-bellied Woodpecker. The colors on the bird and feather detail look good. I agree with Dorian and Dan that zooming out would have been better. You must have been quite close as the tree/perch is not in focus in front of the bird. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com