Thread: Swooping Wings Mallard On The Fly!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Swooping Wings Mallard On The Fly!

Attached Images Attached Images

The R6, like most of the new mirrorless cameras of late, has certainly opened up possibilities with action photography. It tracked this male mallard taking off towards me with a series of 20+ images, 90% of them sharp! Half of those with badly clipped or cut wings due to operator error and because it was close, and many others with so-so wing positions (so many to chose from). This one was just right as far as the subject goes, but did need canvas extension left and top, and cropped at right and bottom, to improve placement within the frame. Not my favorite BG ever (but not too bad) due to the white areas behind the wings, but the pose hopefully makes up for it. So much fun!

Canon R6 + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/2500s., f/5.6, ISO 6400, natural light, handheld, cropped as per description above.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the action on this Daniel too bad for all the white would even be nicer with the water dropping off the duck which for the most part obscured because of the snow. Details processing look good. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, this is a really dynamic pose. Eye tracking looks to have worked beyond perfectly! Love the spread wings. Only wish we could see the dripping water a bit better, but that's tough against snow. The colors do crack in high-key though, so that's good.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The duck looks great my only minor reservation are the circular areas in the background, I would soften the perimeter of them a little.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel ... you seem to have truck loads of fun with the mirrorless world !!
    At least you create some nice stuff with the new toy .
    Image looks cool all around from pose of the subject to composition and color .
    Matter of taste , i think tones in the subject can be improved , IMHO .
    Think the subject could stand a bit more Oomph.

TFS Andreas