Thread: Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola)

Attached Images Attached Images

I was looking for Short eared owls but no luck, whilst I was waiting there was a pair of obliging Stonechat. I think the prey item is a hairy moth caterpillar. I am not sure if a faster SS would have been beneficial it was blowing quite strongly.

Olympus E-M1X
    Focal Length : 420.0mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO : 6400
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/1600 sec
    Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this scene with prey item adding even more. Looks like shutter speed was enough and love the BG as well. Minor nit, wish you pointed down a little more but love it as is. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon:

David hit the main points. Prey item does add sig. interest. Nice color palette, yes a bit of a crop from the top for my tastes.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Shutter speed doesn't seem to be an issue here as bird is nice and sharp. Prey adds interest, and I think the perch is pretty cool; it's a bit busy but it's a perfect representation of how this bird appears in the wild. Background is really nice as well. Frame feels a bit cool, so I might warm it a touch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, so lots to like here IMO.

For starters, the mottled bkg is great. And for a dead perch, this one does have quite a lot of interest.

Now the pose of the subject is just great and the grub/caterpillar is super!! I like the processing on the detail and sharpness front.

The image as a whole does feel a touch muted on the saturation front and maybe slightly cold, but I know we all have slightly different opinions on that front. May be worth one last run through though.

TFS.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments, I agree the colours do look a little pale, they were boosted somewhat as presented. Like many days in winter in this location it was cold and partly misty and rather dull. As it urns out I have a very similar image of this bird's mate, I'll have another look at that and perhaps post it though of course the female has less colour than the male.