Thread: Mallard Hen Landing + Happy New Year!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mallard Hen Landing + Happy New Year!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Coming in hard, and just before the still-hidden feet pull out for impact on the water! It is so much fun to experiment with mirrorless bird action capabilities! Note the horizontal "jaggies" along the far wing's feather edges - I believe this is the result of rolling shutter as I was in "electronic shutter" for this session. A couple more frames have this also, something I've never seen in may images before. Hmmmm.....

I also want to take the opportunity to wish all my BPN friends a Happy and Blessed New Year! With everything that is going on in the world it's easy to lose track of what remains good and positive in our lives, so I will continue to choose focusing on the many blessings...I hope you will do that as well, as difficult as it may be for some (including myself at times). Here's to a productive 2022

Canon R6 + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/3200s., f/5.6, ISO 6400, natural light, handheld, cropped for composition, part of an OOF duck removed from the left edge via content aware, NR via Topaz Denoise.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Daniel:

A happy New Year to you and yours. Yes, we do need to count our blessings, even in these challenging times.

Very nice high key effect. I am not sure I have ever seen the feet tucked in this close to landing before!
    Like the snow/ice on bill.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto to you both on 2022. Yes, mirrorless offers the best-ever AF in many systems. Love everything about this one especially the great look at the blue speculum. Yes to rolling shutter but not as terrible as it gets. I believe that it has to do with the amount of time it takes to write the image to the card. Or not :) No rolling shutter with the Sony a1.

LMK what you thought of the R5/R6 guide.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel ... happy new year !!
    Very nice image to start off the year .
    I do like the HK effect and for sure the lovely landing pose .

Hope you are enjoying the R6 and will have a lot of success whatever you are trying to shoot .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan,
    very good exp. Good photo.

-they say very well
    Sony Tough 300MB/s memory card -

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You nailed it Daniel. Despite many challenges in '21 there is so many blessings to count. Thank you for the reminder!

Love the shot here and nicely done highlighting the speculum. Very peculiar on feet position...

I do get the rolling shutter effect with some frequency, and but you can rarely notice in web images. A bit unfortunately but I can get shots with the R5/6 that were just much more challenging with the DSLR. Hope you enjoy overall.

Wishing you a wonderful '22!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the details and subtle BG (EXP) in this one. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not much to add here...love it! The rolling shutter is one of my main concerns, but as I plan eventually to go Sony A1, hopefully it will be a non issue. The best for 2022 to you and yours Daniel.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, interesting image. The bird separates nicely from the light/white background and blue speculum shows off colorfully. Wonderful post processing, thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the HK and landing pose! Hope you enjoy the mirrorless rig!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great in high key. Killer pose. That blue really pops. Nice to see the ice on the bill.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a fun frame, particularly with the iced beak and missing feet! Pose is awesome, and the blue really cracks in the high-key surrounds. Looks great at ISO 6400. Also fun to see this lady with the male shot posted just above.