Thread: Rainbow Lorikeet

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rainbow Lorikeet

Attached Images Attached Images

My first snapshot for 2022. Out of near 5 million birds recorded during a recent backyard bird survey across Australia the Rainbow Lorikeet was number one.
    Taken in my backyard. R5 EF600 f4 III HH
    1/640 f5 iso 800
    DPP4 PS2022 cropped, curves, sharpen
    Background is a bit fussy but hopefully the colorful bird is sufficiently distracting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin, envious that you have this species; one I'd love to shoot someday.

Love the eye contact. Nice detail in the feathers from here.

It appears to have a strong magenta tint, so maybe go back and play around with WB (which we all know can be tricky at times). Additionally, I'd love a version with the Lorikeet further up in the frame, perhaps leaving the lower pine needles finishing in the frame and more room left. Also might reduce the brightness or clone the white branches in back.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the colors on this bird. Espcially the red eye and that blue head. I would warm it up some.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian, thanks, I am curious about the magenta tint as the histogram looked as good is can be with a small strip of magenta down the rhs.
    I de-saturated a bit even so. I could remove the branches, just chose not to at the time.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Colin ... these Lorikeets are lovely subjects , as most of their relatives .... very comical at times .
    Overall i do like the image , the head turn has saved the file .

I am with Brian about the color , just off IMHO ... in terms of white balance . Looking at the histogram is not the way to go to identify any potential color " issues " .
    Having been to Australia myself , seen these guys .... I would state they do not have blue/magenta feet , for example .... and I think the twigs in that bush are not blue/magneta as well . So I do think something is " wrong " with color .

In my RP I just used one curves adjustment layer with the mid tone eyedropper clicked on the feet .... the result is a good starting point to manipulate the colors to your liking . But maybe you prefer the blueish/magneta cast in your image ... color is a matter of taste .

Happy new year to you and TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thankyou Andreas, I had done the same curves adjustment on the feet and thought it looked too yellow.
    On reflection, my mistake! Have a great new year.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great suggestion by Sump Scores and great repost by Andreas. If you have more room below, you might wish to explore Brian's image design suggestion.

with love, artie

ps: the MAGENTA cast in the original was huge. Even I saw it!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.