Thread: Who's that!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Who's that!

Attached Images Attached Images

A curious young tiger keenly observes as we struggle for a good angle and opening to photograph him/her.
    1DX II
    100-400 II L @ 400mm
    1/640
    f/5.6
    ISO 10,000

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I really like the composition and the tiger looks really keen, you have caught the moment as it were. I do feel it lacks tonal expression, I attach one for you consideration, (I suspect the blacks might be a tad heavy but I had difficulty in lifting any more).

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon, the RP looks good but blacks look a tad choked. Can you pl explain the 'tonal range/expression' a bit more? Sorry for the lame question. Do I increase mid tone contrast or make darks more black? And increase saturation??

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev .... nice Titel and the well fitting image to it .
    Did he get up ??

The posture is nice with the tale leading out of the frame and great you got a almost clear view , honestly I would not complain .
    Basically is nothing " wrong " with the OP in terms of color and tones , but for sure there are some options to make the subject pop more if one likes it . How far is a matter of taste , IMHO .
    I am a bit concerned about the NR you doing , check the nose bridge .... looks like one smooth surface .

Nevertheless so cool that you and Haseeb had the opportunity .... I am a bit envious .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjeev Aurangabadkar View Post
    Thanks Jon, the RP looks good but blacks look a tad choked. Can you pl explain the 'tonal range/expression' a bit more? Sorry for the lame question. Do I increase mid tone contrast or make darks more black? And increase saturation??
    Sanjeev, I don't think the question is lame, you are on the right track. There are so many ways to achieve a little more tonal expression. You could have a look at masking in LR, the latest version helps create selected areas to adjust you have masks and colour grading at hand. In PS I go to Tony Kuyper version 8 i.e. TL8 Panel - this is a Plug in and as you indicate you can select various tonal ranges and selectively darken/lighten saturate/desaturate. If you have TK8 and you find it initially a little bewildering - as I did I suggest you look up Dave Kelly on YouTube, he has made a series of tutorials on TK 8 panel (numerous other topics too), Dave shows clearly how to selectively select and control various areas/tones/colours etc. His tutorials are quite short on specific subjects and they helped me get to grips with the TK8 panel. The panel may be purchased from Tony Kuyper on YouTube directly or via Dave Kelly or Sean Bagshaw who is a miracle worker in my opinion!

In your image I felt everything needed a little bit of a boost in terms of colour and depth and in some cases you can apply "Pop" this is in the TK8 Panel - sometimes it provides the effect you are looking for and the amount of Pop can be adjusted with the Opacity slider in Layers Panel, you can of course make a mask and brush in or out the effect you are looking for. It is a quick fix so it is not always the method of choice but it can occasionally be quite useful. ( I suspect Steve will be cringing now but I he has more knowledge and experience than I). The thing is with TK8 it does everything (well for me that is) I could even think of but it is perfectly possible to achieve these effects/actions yourself - if you know how to do it!
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 12-12-2021 at 06:13 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon for the detailed reply. Much appreciated. I will look at the videos and the TK8 as suggested.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev you received a detailed reply ... well almost ... Jon did not say what he actually did , with the TK panel . That would be good to follow along if you think the image became improved ..... but why did the blacks go choked ??? Well just because Jon went to far ... with his edits albeit he used the very GOOD panel .
    Basically he is right with his suggestion of using or purchasing it .... but one needs to be prepared to learn a lot before you can use the potential of this panel . Tony Kuyper offers a simple panel to create luminosity masks for nothing ... zero dollars !!! I would try and download that one first and have a play with it , if I remember correctly you have no idea about the use and possibilities of luminosity masks in combination with adjustment layers and blending modes . So going straight for the TK 8 panel is OVERKILL in my opinion !!!

Watching some YouTube videos do help to understand the principals of the panel , but MR KELLY ( sorry Jon ) is a big no no , IMHO . He is basically copying knowledge from others and presenting it through his channel .... and he is making the example edits without any structure nor does he seem to have a " plan " how to approach things the " right " way . Well this is just my personal opinion .... Jon seem to like it . This Mr Kelly has tutorials about almost everything in terms of editing .... and a lot of software !!!

But go for it Sanjeev and find out yourself .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, your comments are made from a sound foundation of knowledge, your understanding is probably higher than most, I agree with what you said but I still think Dave Kelly provides a clear way of showing how TK 8 can be used, he provides a great introduction. Sean Bagshaw is for me the master but some of his videos are too long, Dave Kelly is short and covers one topic at a time.. some of his adjustments are OTT but he makes it clear in terms of what can be done, ultimately it is us who has to make the final adjustment - not Dave.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok Jon .... letīs move on

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- Nice image once again, liked the pose and the curious look. Jon's RP takes it up a notch . NR is a bit strong .

Nice discussion on the panels . i also did try it as suggested by Andreas and they are indeed helpful and makes life easy but before that you need to spend some time learning it . I had not practiced it after trying it few times and now have forgot it how to use and as a result am sticking to PS tools for the routine as of now.

Nice image , TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool to see those big paws. Nice alert pose as well.