Thread: Squirrel IV

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Squirrel IV

Attached Images Attached Images

Oooops another Squirrel image .... I am in love with them at the moment , sorry folks !
    Still playing around with subjects and new gear , learning new stuff slowly .

Mirrorless has definitely some advantages ... but difficult to get used to it at some point , when one is used to a DSLR . Behaves very different in various situations ... into both directions , good and bad .
    Me as an older " fart " is sometimes struggling to catch up .... LOL.
    But great fun to play around .

Canon EOS R3
    EF 200 - 400 IS L at 400 mm
    Tripod

F 5,6 ; Iso 16.000 ; 1/ 800 sec

electronic shutter and flip screen for composition and focusing .

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2022 ; almost full frame ; removed one hazelnut from the bark .

Thanx for looking and commenting to my previous postings

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, this is amazing for 16,000 ISO! The details and colour really 'pop'. The subject is cute and the composition is just right. Nicely processed ! Enjoy the new toy! Am liking your squirrels a lot !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- Is the R3 that good with high ISO ?

I loved the colours here, especially the way your subject with its lovely orange shades is standing out against the green settings. Very nice details considering that very high ISO .

Another lovely image.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys from India ....

@ Haseeb .... the Iso performance is " on par " with the 1Dx III , IMHO . Maybe ever so slightly lower .... a " bigger " issue is the base sharpness which is " obviously " lower in the R3 . Saying this with my used kit and skills shooting mirrorless . On the other hand getting the exposure is right is easier and the tracking is easier .... as long as the AF locks on . I am still in the learning mode to work with the new AF system ....

Cheers Andreas

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I like everything about it, apart from the green in the bark. Classic pose of the 'Red' stretched out, cool backdrop, perhaps a slight head to camera, but good that the muddy Squirrel gave you some time.

Re the 'emerald' green, I think you either had to be there, or... you have pushed them Andreas, why do I say pushed, look at the squirrels front paw and how the green has crept along the arm....

FWIW Haseeb, there appears to be not much difference between the R6 & R3, both on a par with PXs, both have Animal tracking, except the R3 has more of an updated AF, but my question would be, is roughly £3.5k extra worth it and why would you upgrade from a 1DX MK2????

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ignore the green arm, took it into PS and all good, must be the way it's rendered.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve ... for sure have I pushed the whole thing , it is not as shot
    Flat pancake light .... and I actually like the green bark a lot . Must not be pushed that far as I did .... matter of taste .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I actually like the green bark a lot . Must not be pushed that far as I did .... matter of taste .
    I think it's just a balancing act Andreas, but for me, when pushing, it still needs to appear natural, otherwise I fear it pops out and then jars with the overall colours.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with you it is mostly a thinner line to walk on when pushing tone or color .... but I do not expect a 100 % natural look . Personally I think I did not went over the edge ...
    Velvia did not look natural .... in the good old days and was THE film in those days .

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it but if mine I would have made a little less saturated. I remember Fuji and Velvia and Kodachrome days and comparing them, Velvia was good but often a little rich for me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon ... I could go little less saturated without loosing the overall look & feel .

I loved Velvia ... BTW . But always good to have different views to certain aspects in our work , otherwise all would look the same !!!