Thread: A Tiger after a long time.

Hybrid View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Tiger after a long time.

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone.

Finally had an opportunity to sneak out for a trip to Bandhavgarh and also had the pleasure to catch with Doc after a long time.

We got to see this family of 5 on a cattle kill, where , the settings were a bit tough due to the difficult terrain and of course 5 different tigers scattered around us. We managed to get some shots though and would like to start with this particular frame where I liked the green settings all around this young tiger.

DPP 4.12, PSCC 23, WB, curves, levels, hue/sat, NR, sharpening , a bit of cleaning up here and there.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400mm with TC engaged, Bean Bag.

ss 1/500, f/5.6, iso 5000.

Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions be it of any nature.

Haseeb.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image and the natural setting with the foliage all around. The eye contact and details are really attention grabbing. For me I would reduce the Vibrance of the yellow green foliage and also reduce the orange in the tiger - I think this would help. I feel this would make it a little more natural. I know its a few years since I was there but it does seem a tad colourful to me.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, look like both you & Doc had some lovely encounters, I'm both pleased and envious.

Overall I quite like the framing, what I might suggest is frame in camera then just pull back a little, it then gives you some 'wiggle' room. ISO5000, might have just upped it to 6400, gained a little more SS, but the IQ would still be there. Now I'm viewing on the laptop so take this with a pinch of salt:

1. Overall you could up the Exp by a third
    2. Think the image needs a bit more NR
    3. Although the whites look OK in terms of WB, but again I think you could perk them up
    4. Was there something over the lower jaw, as the gum line appears thin and washed out, you can address that in Layers & masks
    5. Overall you could bring the colour up and the eyes need some life....
    6. 50/50 would it have been better to have a little more space on the RHS so the rear isn't clipped????

If you have the time I would revise the file Haseeb, it's a lovely capture. The attached isn't quite right, but hopefully illustrates my points above.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Jon and Steve, as always your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

@ Jon -- I am not sure at what time of the year you visited Bandhavgarh, it was Oct I guess ? but nevertheless , some parts of forest remain vibrant during winter months of Oct to Jan and this was one such area where greenery was pretty good.

@ Steve -- I do like your suggestions and have tried to implement them with my limited PP skill set. Let me know WDYT ? Also reg, the rear , it could have been included but as you said i tried to frame in the camera and that is my achilles heel, i don't know why I always want to frame properly in camera and forget abt cropping later on. I think that is more of a habit now.

Its remarkable to see how such subtle changes improves the image drastically. Can you throw more light on how you perceive an image? We all see things differently but these are obvious suggestions where people like me fall short time and again.
    Last edited by haseeb badar; 12-09-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb ... lovely setting , reminds to my first trip to Bandavhgarh .
    Such a cool image I am really enjoying to look at it , love the intense look into the camera of the cat .
    I thought OP did look good , but after seeing Steve´s version I think there is more to coax out .
    You did well well with your RP , IMHO.

I hope you enjoyed the trip with Doc !!!

Keep them coming !

TFS Andreas

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, what an encounter that was! It was exciting to see then tiger cubs up close and their behaviour (curiosity, inquisitiveness and caution all together) was amazing to see.
    I love the image, nice comp and the tight framing works well, the RP by Steve and yourself is better as the OP looked a bit dark on my screen.
    Well done given the tough setting we were in.

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas and Doc.

@ Andreas -- same realization donned on me after seeing Steve's version.

@ Doc -- Loved the behavior of those cats, it is what makes the sightings more memorable .