Thank You Posts

Default Red Grouse

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 800mm
    f/8
    1/1000
    ISO 640

This is another from my fave Grouse Glen on a rather windy day.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice William, a little more detail can be taken on the abdomen for me. Congratulations.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The lighting, pose, and setting are very nice, but the feather detail is suffering a bit, perhaps on account of the 2x. This makes the bird look a wee bit plastic to my eye. Also, the grass blades which intersect the subject's breast have strong halos around around them. The issue probable results from processing, but I have no idea at what step or level.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, I like the calling pose here a lot. Nice that you can get them in the prevalent surroundings.

A little wind blown feathers has its place. You sure make me want to come shoot Grouse and Kites one day over there.

There are a few spots where it looks like the sharpening may have gotten the best of you, namely the right edge of the bird on the breast, a touch on the beak and even some of the grasses. Otherwise, I could see a version with the subject just a little more left in frame, minor nit.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, classic calling pose and the habitat is typical of where they inhabit. Adding the 2x forced you to f/8 which I think was a good call, otherwise I think you might not have chosen it. A sliver more at the foot would I think help and I like the fact the subject is slightly angled and off-set to the left of frame. I wonder if you have manipulated a bit of the BKG on the RHS of the Grouse, the edge just looks a bit soft and so is it some colour creeping over, but there is a sharpening halo running down that side. The comb is very cool.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, neat image of a Red Grouse. I like the habitat, the calling pose, the raised red comb, the wind blown feathers. I see the halos others have mentioned, I think that can be fixed. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks pretty good to me Will, I am not too sure about the reservations expressed about sharpening, I feel some softness on the bird is probably due to the wind and I think the bottom right foreground is nearer than the rest so that coupled with the wind....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments....much appreciated.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will ..... nice one , with the lovely calling pose .
    Colors and tones looking good to me ... I am a little undecided about the details in the plumage , whether one could ask for more from this species .
    Habitat looks good with the shrubby FG and the OOF BG .... well chosen Will .

Have you used lens correction for this shot ??? As there is a lot of color fringing going on in the FG grass .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Will ..... nice one , with the lovely calling pose .
    Colors and tones looking good to me ... I am a little undecided about the details in the plumage , whether one could ask for more from this species .
    Habitat looks good with the shrubby FG and the OOF BG .... well chosen Will .

Have you used lens correction for this shot ??? As there is a lot of color fringing going on in the FG grass .

TFS Andreas
    Hi Andreas....thanks for that.....Never used lens correction...I did use the burn tool to tame the highlights....

Will