Thread: Robin

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Robin

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... same spot as the Crow.
    Just sat down for Squirrels and recognized the Robin in the shrub nearby . So forgot about the Squirrels for a moment .

Canon EOS R3
    EF 200 - 400 IS L with TC engaged ( 560 mm )
    HH

F 5,6 ; Iso 5000 ; 1/1000 sec ; man exp

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2022 ; slight crop and some gardening in FG and BG

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like everything about this Andreas apart from the lower part of the frame where the OOF stuff merges onto the lower part of the bird...Nice perch, BG and good detail on the bird...Perfect HA...

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas,

I'm happy for R3. Use it with a smile. I hope you get used to it soon. congratulations.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, the blur across the feet is a bit of a bummer as William observed, but I think this is a very natural view of this bird. It's exactly how I remember seeing them in my grandmother's backyard in the UK. Detail looks great, and the head angle suck us right in. Nicely done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, this is a really pretty frame. How do you like the R3 thus far? Sorry if I have missed any reviews from you on it.

But the colors are very nice here. Rich foliage and the pop of red on the branches adds a lot. It appears very nicely processed on the subject (go figure).

Your choice of composition is great from my view. Wish we had a super clear look at the feet, as an intimate image like this sort of demands it IMO but I'd take this one.

TFS my amigo!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, good to get a variety of subjects under your belt with the new toy and trying to get to grips with the updated AF.

The feet is an issue, but as this isn't a set-up I can leave it personally, but full understand others concerns. Colours look good albeit on the MBP, like the HA and you have some nice detail, although looking at this and my own, I'm still not sure on how pin sharp the AF is compared to a calibrated body, but that's me. The off set framing works and ties in with the slight HA, the perch is a bit ugly, however natural. Personally I might have lost that bit of green just above the second leaf on the RHS and replaced with the red/sandy colour, but not a deal breaker, just thought the continuity would be more pleasing.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, neat little bird, different from the Robins here. Nice work post processing. As others have mentioned it is unfortunate that out of focus vegetation blurred the feet. Waiting for the perfect probably will never happen. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pleasing natural scene Andreas, I like it. I suspect this would look particularly good with a few snow flakes around also!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks for your various comments .

For sure not the cleanest shot , but as Steve said it is natural habitat . Would have liked a cleaner surrounding .... though .

@ Steve ... I think you are on a good path regarding the AF and sharpness , or it is me not dealing properly with the new gear . I am still playing around .

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve ... I think you are on a good path regarding the AF and sharpness , or it is me not dealing properly with the new gear . I am still playing around .
    No I don't think it's you, I just feel it's just slightly off... I do like the idea you can use Spot and control/define the AF target area.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    ... I do like the idea you can use Spot and control/define the AF target area.
    Drop me a line please , might have missed that " option "

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The oof foreground is so soft that I'm ok with it overlapping the feet slightly here. Such an appealing "backyard" image. The only thing for me, and it'll sound picky, is that the full leaf in upper right corner is pretty close tot he edge for my tastes - if you have 1/2 inch of canvas to add back that would be so good IMO. Other than that, top shot!