Thread: Squirrel IV

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Squirrel IV

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... went again to the Squirrels
    Here you go , small subject vs large tree base .

Canon EOS R3
    EF 70 - 200 IS L II at 200 mm
    HH

F 3,5 ; Iso 6400 ; 1/640 sec ; man exp

Processed with DPP and PSCC 2022 ; slightly cropped from bottom and LHS .... little gardening in FG

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A pleasing image Andreas, love the pose, the colours and the BG. The large tree trunk does not bother me as it has some textures and character of its own. Nicely done.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it, a little squirrel in a big world, I see the ears are beginning to dry! I like the light and the colours. I am a little curious about the tree buttress, there seems to be a very definite delineation on the in focus out of focus components.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev and Jon for your comments , much appreciated .

@ Jon , not sure what you mean by " I am a little curious about the tree buttress, there seems to be a very definite delineation on the in focus out of focus components." .

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Thanks Sanjeev and Jon for your comments , much appreciated .

@ Jon , not sure what you mean by " I am a little curious about the tree buttress, there seems to be a very definite delineation on the in focus out of focus components." .
    I was curious that the large root he is standing on is so sharp/in focus against the others that are not in focus, is this purely DOF or selective sharpening, maybe even some negative sharpening?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon ... naturally in the plane of focus and emphasized in post , by adding the same " edits " as to the main subject .
    Hope this clarifies things

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I like the idea of going wider, but probably prefer the leaves environment, both both work in their own ways. Would I crop more off at the foot loosing the leaves, would need to see. The green of the moss I think is perhaps tad green and again personal preference, albeit something looks a bit odd on the moss running along the trunk at the back???? I like the pose and angle of the squirrel, but here you haven't pushed the reds/oranges.

Would be interesting for comparison to pop both the R3 & 1DX MK3 on my rig and shoot the same image with the same setting, can't help but wonder if the MK3 has the edge????

there seems to be a very definite delineation on the in focus out of focus components.
    No idea Jon, have you been reading those big books again, or browsing on tinternet?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve for your comment .
    Well the environment is matter of taste .... I was happy to get this little guy on the big roots .
    I like the moss as posted , the lighter moss in the back ... well the moss in the front is darkened by me .
    Loosing some of the foot , yes is an option that I did not have in mind as I wanted to stay as wide as possible .
    No pushing of oranges .... same starting point in terms of " picture style " , but lowered the orange saturation already in DPP by -2 , followed by a second round of desaturating before downsizing by - 5 in PS.

Well comparing the 1Dx and the R3 .... no problem , invite me to a nice shooting spot and I let you run some tests . No problem ... as long as you keep me entertained and organize something to drink and eat for me .

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would just simply mount the two camera bodies & lenses on my system side by side. Venue, not so sure anything would equal your location currently. Food & drink I think would need to be very simple for you currently, with no excitement.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whoa Andreas -- this is such a nice image, loved the wider perspective. excellent tones and details .

Very nicely done,TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb ....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think it is a fantastic result and the environment (roots, colours etc) work a treat