Thread: Jay

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Jay

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks .... I photographed this Jay while I was waiting for Squirrels to grab the nuts that I provided on the ground .
    Opportunistic as they are , they come and steal the nuts .

Canon EOS R3
    EF 200 - 400 IS L with TC engaged at 560 mm
    HH

F 5,6 ; Iso 16.000 ; 1/800 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2022 ; slightly cropped from top and RHS

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous thread

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas:

Excellent POV, I like the birds angle in the frame, shallow DOF.
    Fall season nicely captured with colors and fallen leaves.
    Nice image quality at that ISO!

Good cropping choice.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well detailed and I like the blue in the wing, the presentation of the Jay is pleasing, however given the (suspected, ie dull) lighting conditions I doubt it would have been quite so bright (??). I think it looks pretty good but I would suggest lowering the overall exposure of the non subject material, I think this would enhance the Jay slightly against somewhat similarly coloured background..

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, Andreas. I love the complementary colors between the bird and surroundings; it's very unique. Detail on the bird looks great (what of it is in focus), and the blue in the wing really cracks. I don't have any issue with the relative brightness of
    bird versus background. It looks pretty natural-looking to my eye. Great eye contact. Only wish to see a bit of foot, but that's tough in leaves!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I think the conditions being better than the previous postings, albeit the light may not have been in your favour has still delivered a very good image. ISO 16k isn't an issue and you have retailed some excellent detail, clarity and sharpness. Again, being low is key and the the body angle works for me. Great to see the EF lens delivering.

I think it looks pretty good but I would suggest lowering the overall exposure of the non subject material, I think this would enhance the Jay slightly against somewhat similarly coloured background..
    I can see where Jon is going and it could work, even pushing the Sat/Lumo to add depth, might be worth exploring if you have time, perhaps just in the FG leaving the BKG paler??????

Only wish to see a bit of foot, but that's tough in leaves!
    Dorian raises (no pun here) a good point, even if it was a hint or just going forward would have certainly elevated the image, but hey..., in an ideal world.

TFS
    Steve

PS You should pop a file over, be interested to see.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks for your thoughts and suggestions !!!

I do agree a "raised " foot would have been better .... but he did not , in this frame . Have other frames with raised feet , but posing was not great ....

I hear you Jon , about the overall brightness of the scene . Actually it was quite bright as this took place on a clearing in that area , but I do see the darkening potential of the surroundings .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this Andreas.....For me its one of your best Avian images...The autumn colours throughout are lovely...Nice pose, HA and feather detail....Good POV.

Well done

Will