Thread: Kingfisher - 'walking the plank'

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kingfisher - 'walking the plank'

Attached Images Attached Images

A species really posted here and a subject I have been longing to photograph for a very long time, but this wasn't planned, but more of a lucky coincidence.

I knew the Kingfishers were around, as once or twice I had seen them darting along the beck (small stream), but then as time went on, close to the waters edge you could see his/her favourite spot by the markings. However, this perch is only 7m away from the Sparrow hawk feeding post and shortly after this frame was taken the female SH took a pop at this Kingfisher, but the size and speed eluded her, but the Kingfisher is not put off and I gather quite often resides on the perch.

On reflection I feel it needs a bit more DoF and a tad more SS, but I'm OK as it stands, as there was little time as I was shooting the SH with the R5 at the time and just grabbed the MK3 with whatever the settings were. Was the motion blur in the tiny feet deliberate, no... but I think it's a nice touch, albeit very small.

Thanks to those who commented or viewed the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Kingfisher (F) (Alcedo atthis)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III
    Exposure: 1/500s at f/5.6 ISO3200 EV +0.33
    Original format: Portrait, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC 10.5 & PSCC 22.5.1
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well O don't care about any of those 'shortcomings ' I just love the whole thing.The colour mixture is almost perfect .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Ian.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve that looks pretty darned good to me! It's a female by the way. Love the raised foot and the fact that it is on a perch that is not overly decorative. The pose is very relaxed and natural.
    Now then is it me or am I seeing some magenta in the plumage and on the perch (on the far right). I am not sure if it should be there or not, it is just a little unexpected by me that's all.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great work - these guys are so skittish! Love the composition. Blurred foot does add interest. You're just lucky nothing else moved with it at 1/500. PLumage detail is outstanding. I also see a slight magenta cast, but my eyes regularly deceive me on that front.
    I'd love to get a kingfisher image like this. Bravo.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi,

is perfect Steve
    alkış..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Dorian & Volkan.

I seeing some magenta in the plumage and on the perch
    Thanks Jon and yes I can see what you mean. Here I just pumped up the 'Blue' and so it's not just the basic slider, but it's whatever the blue consists of that is affected, so here magenta/red went up, because as you know the colouring is their quite electric. No magenta in the perch based on the grey, more blue. Now I can't access the Raw because the laptop isn't running the latest version of Lr, so have had to correct the OP, not ideal plus on the laptop....

So selectively addressing the blue and perch, here you go, still hold the final tweaks for when I'm back, but this I'm sure will address your thoughts hopefully, although it does I think lack some punch/oomph.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... nice one of the KF !!
    The " unusual " side move captured with the motion blur is making the image different , well done . Albeit being not really planned , as far as I understand .

Clean design paired with the usual lovely processing , well done .

I am with Jon about the color , but it is no magenta there .... just the hue of the blues was a bit " off " , IMHO . Looks better in the RP !!!!!

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The " unusual " side move captured with the motion blur is making the image different , well done . Albeit being not really planned , as far as I understand .
    You are correct, nice to get back to the MK3 and can still nail it at low SS, no need for OTT SS, not that I could have.

I am with Jon about the color , but it is no magenta there .... just the hue of the blues was a bit " off " , IMHO . Looks better in the RP !!!!!
    Thanks, will review when I'm back home. Hopefully next year will bring more, but need to be careful, especially during breeding times and avoid requiring a Schedule One License.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The RP has the gorgeous " metallic " look .... in those blues , at least IMHO

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The RP has the gorgeous " metallic " look .... in those blues , at least IMHO
    Cheers, that's helpful.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost looks pretty much ideal.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost looks pretty much ideal.
    What could I do Jon to make it 'ideal'?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    What could I do Jon to make it 'ideal'?
    Well being really picky, I see some blotches in the bottom right hand quadrant, perhaps smooth them out a little.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

LOL Jon, when you go from a 1.7GB Tiff file with millions of colours to an sRGB 256 colours there might be a slight loss in IQ Jon, but if there is here, I can live it’ on the Master file it’s as smooth as a baby’s bottom.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Well being really picky, I see some blotches in the bottom right hand quadrant, perhaps smooth them out a little.
    Hey Jon .... I hope you are looking so carefully in your own front yard , next time .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve.....Very nice pose and the colours look spot on for me....It would be good if they stay around that area, I'll send down some of my mossy perches for you

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That would be very much appreciated Will, but not via Postman Pat, but via DPD.