Thread: Crow with new toy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Crow with new toy

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks .... went out with my latest investment to practice .
    Light /weather .... well , mid European November weather. Had the glorious " November rain " song in mind while I was shootings it was actually raining and it was in a local park with big old trees .
    So bsically not the best conditions to shoot .... but who cares .

The techs are crazy .... but do not care , try to get a decent web image out of the RAW file .

Canon R3
    EF 200 - 400 IS L at 400 mm
    HH

F 4 ; ISO 25.600 ; 1/1000 sec ; man exp

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2022 ; slightly cropped and little removal in LLC and ULC

THansk for looking and commenting to my previous postings

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, perhaps not the best of conditions to take your new toy out and start to get to grips with it, or to show it off to it's best, but...

Hard to tell if I was doing a comparison, as I'm away up north, but just wonder how it compares with the MK3, but the subject is quite challenging, but on the laptop I'm not sure on IQ. Is that postering in the BKG, but probably the MBP crappy screen???? A sliver more above for me, it's a bit tight, also perhaps just reducing the HL's on the perch. Was this mechanical or Electronic, how are you fairing with the Histogram, is it similar to the MK3, or are you finding it's harder to get the balance right?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve .... agree not the best start in terms of conditions , but that racehorse was pulling strongly on the leach ....

Made no comparison so far to the MK 3 , can't see any posterization here on my screen .... was very conservative with the NR . So what you see should be noise ..... no wonder at 25k . I am with you about being a bit tight , should have gone portrait during the shooting .
    Was shot mechanical .... so far I miss the shutter noise , have not found the button yet to turn on the shutter noise in the beast .
    I am " struggling " all around with the camera .... so need time to get the hands on correctly . This will take longer .... so many options . Really cool is the EYE focus ..... but one has to work very precise to make it work .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Still think the MK3 locks on quicker/better, but… that’s with the R5.

Yep, a lot to grasp and to set up, trial & error, you need to work it out, but a lot on the web that’s misleading/wrong.

Animal eye focus, still feel it’s cheating and does, IMHO, takeaway the skills we have learnt and honed, but it works, however always remember how AF works and there will be times you revert back to conventional selection.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK, don't feel qualified to comment after the professors have discussed but the day/weather goes so well with the mood of this canvas and the subject. Love the BG but vertical would work as well. Always fun working with new gear. Enjoy and TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks David .... please feel qualified !!!!
    Regardless of your qualification .... every vote counts

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Still think the MK3 locks on quicker/better, but… that’s with the R5.

Yep, a lot to grasp and to set up, trial & error, you need to work it out, but a lot on the web that’s misleading/wrong.

Animal eye focus, still feel it’s cheating and does, IMHO, takeaway the skills we have learnt and honed, but it works, however always remember how AF works and there will be times you revert back to conventional selection.
    I do agree about the AF speed and locking onto subject .... at the first look , but the R3 is just basically rudimentary set up right now . So many hours of trial and error .

Have not found much so far in terms of set up on mr google !!!! Apart from global blah blah ..... from Canon or other resources , to be honest .

I did not talk about animal eye af , I talked about the focussing with my eye . That is looking great .... if it is working properly , but one has to behave very precise behind the camera regarding of face position while shooting . But fun to see what is possible in todays world .

But I agree , sooner or later we will loose skills .....

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well my understanding is that you have to register 6 recordings with your eye so the camera builds its own picture. But I did also read, pre production/launch that it might be worth taking different recordings in different environments, but I have no idea how much the camera can store so it’s intelligence grows. Not sure about that….??????

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will confess to not reading the extensive comments above :) I love the bird and the perch and the BKGR is fabulous. The bird's head is turned away just a bit too much but the biggest problem for me is that the subject is too centered. Moving the bird well to the right in the frame would have made the image design much stronger and would have introduced more of the lovely green tones.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arthur for your comment .... much appreciated . Exchange is important ....about whatever term .
    Luckily I am seeing no problems at all .... just see potential to change some minor things , with some PS trickery . But not worth it , as it is just an image from my first baby steps with the new toy .
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 11-30-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on the new toy, fun to play around with new technology . You will understand the wink emoji soon. I agree with you tht this should have been taken in portrait, but also understand this was a test run with new gear so performance and IQ was of more interest generally here.

Gotta go listen to some G'n'R now........