Thread: I think I'm getting closer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default I think I'm getting closer.

Attached Images Attached Images

Another gray ghost image that's closer to the horizon and with the head clear of the distal wing. The images I've posted have been taken from the window of my vehicle at Clarence Cannon National Wildlife Refuge.
    I've seen as many as 7-8 females/immature birds on a distant brush pile at one time. They change their hunting patterns on a regular basis however. Right now most of them are hunting in a spot that faces directly
    into the sun in the morning from the road. I had to wait for an hour and a half after sunrise for this single flyby at a decent spot. Nothing like waiting an hour and a half for about 3 seconds of pee in your pants excitement.
    I have a few images of the bird below the horizon but, they're all marred by poor wing position, shadows, or the head OOF. I presume this is the same male. Interesting to note the feet are hidden this time. Cropped from
    the top as I was having typical problems keeping the bird centered at this range. Processed with DxO and a little sharpening with DeNoiseAI.
    Nikon D500, 500mmF4VRII, TC-14EIII
    1/3200s, f7.1, iso800 Full Manual

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Everything about this looks good to me .Having never seen one, he is very beautiful .Worth waiting for .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty darned sweet. I've got zip on this species. Sharp with beautiful underwing details. In a perfect world the near wing would have been fully extended.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

The near wing on this image is closer to full extension but the bird is farther from the horizon and the back wing is lower behind the head. It was about a tossup for me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. I am seeing the image as a touch too bright overall though. You've been having fun with these guys!