Thread: Rusty Blackbird Funky Background.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rusty Blackbird Funky Background.

Attached Images Attached Images

This was the world's tamest Rusty Blackbird ever, with these guys being usually pretty skittish (at least in my experience). It was eating left-over seeds left for ducks (picking and choosing mostly millet). Here's a full-frame image of it for you.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 14/250s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, FF, some bill cleanup near the tip.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, superb detail with the kit, you nailed it for sure and is up there with the latest of gear! Quite a striking backdrop, compared to your usual postings, almost bordering on psychedelic, was there anything extra in the 'Thanks Giving' meal this year???

I quite like the jaunty, tilted head, but being cut through the body, I'm just not sure, I'm 50/50, think being smaller in frame and all of the subject may have been better, or going portrait, but just my take.... I guess you are happy with the green strip running vertical down.

Personally I might to added of couple of brush strokes over the brighter eye just to drop the exposure, I know it's the light, but somehow going a tad darker works IMHO. Now one thing you can see is a slight 'ghosting', less so on the back of the bird, although it's there, but more so down along the chest, as if a layer wasn't quite aligned, so it's like two millimetres to the left and then two mm to the right, perhaps from when using a layer mask and they got knocked???

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't know what I like the best...The bird or the BG...The detail on the bird is amazing, beautiful rich colours and a great pose and HA....The BG takes me back to the sixties

Well done Dan...something different and it works....

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys! Steve, I see what you mean about the slight "ghosting" - it's there on the raw file, and besides, I've do not use layers, never did (really!). Odd thing: I do not like the green strip when looking at the small thumbnail, but when viewed larger I rather like it.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hanks guys! Steve, I see what you mean about the slight "ghosting" - it's there on the raw file, and besides, I've do not use layers, never did (really!). Odd thing: I do not like the green strip when looking at the small thumbnail, but when viewed larger I rather like it.
    Hi Dan, I was very reluctant to comment, but feel if you don't raise the question it's the equivalent to not commenting. I have no idea and if it is in the Raw even more bizarre!!!! Personally I'm not but if you left it in then fine, I would rather a BKG with similar continuity, but that's what's great, we all see things differently. Thanks for replying and if I get a heads up on Firmware I will drop you a line ASAP.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.