Thread: Maybe a post card?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Maybe a post card?

Attached Images Attached Images

Decided on a "post card" style shot here with this Red-backed fairy wren. Thanks for looking and commenting as always.

D500/500PF, 1/1000th sec@f5.6, iso800, manual mode, hh.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, I like the thinking and going small in frame, but overall it's not working for me.

There is zero detail in the subject and... as presented the blacks in the body are heavy clipped (no detail) and even when you try to see what's there, it all starts getting grainy/course and less than ideal, so really a not starter. There area sharping halos very visible along the the body of the subject too, clearly defined even on the web. Would like a bit more depth/tonal range in the foliage so you get that layering, very easy to do Paul and you can do this.

I do like however the clean BKG the subject is set against.

I would have exposed for the subject, let the BKG just go, not quite to the point of blowing and then addressed that in PP, which if blown isn't an issue for you to do.

TFS
    Steve

PS What is a Postcard" style shot????
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve. Thank you for the feedback...all good points, although the image looks better on my monitor, but I see your point in respect of the detail lacking in the bird.
    Thought the image would make a good postcard. I'll go back and check those halos.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, monitor has no function here, you can clearly see the subject is just a ‘ball’ of black, with the head very coarse on the web. No idea what you use for PP, but in Lr you will see the Histogram and it will clearly show you before exporting the image is clipped/choked, enough time to revise before posting and avoiding issues like this, but my gut feeling is that the issues stem from the original capture.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve. I went back and re processed the image, cropped less and removed the halos (didn't apply any sharpening previous to that), but I see the weakness in the image. Thought it was better than it was...I was wrong.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve. I went back and re processed the image, cropped less and removed the halos (didn't apply any sharpening previous to that), but I see the weakness in the image. Thought it was better than it was...I was wrong.
    Hi Paul, it's very easy to point out 'flaws' in images, or just say - bin, as some folk do, but with very little, or nothing said to why. Kudos in going back and now seeing the weaknesses as you say, but to me that has now turned things around and the negative has become a positive.

Paul, do you ever use a 1.4 TC, yes a fraction might be lost in IQ, (if any that you might see), but to me, it saves cropping hard and loss of IQ. Folk crop hard at times here and the IQ is poor, even with some of the newer cameras, so adding a TC may have help and reduced the need to crop heavily?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve. I did use a TC when I had the Canon gear (7Dii/100-400) but did not like the results. I don't have a TC for my Nikon gear. As I'm looking to eventually go mirrorless I won't invest in any new Nikon gear at this time. Actually this photo only had a small crop. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A wise move, but I do use a TC when shooting Mirrorless with minimal cropping.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Paul,

As presented, this is a gorgeous work of art. Do you have the whole flower in the LRC??? It could use some ff the top.

with love, arite
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,
    Thank you so much for the kind comment. Yes, the original frame has the whole flower, as well as more of those round seed pods on the left side (cropped out here). Yes to more off the top. I'm going back and re-edit the raw file. Cheers.