Thread: Barrel role

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barrel role

Name:  20211121-DSC08359-LR-Edit.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  448.6 KB

This is an angry male who is defending his very mobile fledged offspring as we walk along a public path . In 4 years we cannot see their nesting ledge way up on the cliffs above, cleverly hidden.
    These guys live on Galas mainly and the wonderful feet are on display .Learning about the A1 without which I could not have the few in focus frames before he was too quick for me . But you never know what you might get.

A1
    200/600
    at 600mm
    1/5000th
    iso 2000
    HH
    7PM
    As usual suggestions very welcome

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ian:

A unique point of view. Love the wing curvature.
    Might try to tone down the yellows just a bit on the upper leg.
    Not an easy pose for the autofocus, but you and it nailed it.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A wicked pose. You can definitely do something with the brightest highlights. You might also do some work on softening the edges of the shadow. I did a blog post on that last week.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Breathtaking flight pose.....I agree about the HL's ...Very well captured Ian. It's a pity the birds left eye was in shadow.

Will

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all. will follow your post Artie as following frames coming up over next few days.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ian, what a sweet inverted flight pose you got. Love that!

Your dof was nice, how far were you stopped down? Plenty sharp.

Just a touch unfortunate the perpendicular sun angle from left but a minor nit. Sure you would have loved a bkg other than blue sky but such a fun image to view anyway. Appreciate the look!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It may be angry, but this sure looks like fun! Excellent pose indeed, and sharp. A great look at he tucked-in talons. I agree with the highlights recommendations, and I also think the eye to our right needs some work as it has a bit of a funky and clouded look.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the nictitating membrane may be closed on the his left eye, giving it that look. Could just be from bringing up shadows as well.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian thank you for your interest.The sun was at right angles going down ,in the evening, and I can only ever get half the bird but I love the agility and the action. If I take three steps backwards I fall in our longest river . I have done that once and it did my gear no good..This lens200/600 is 5.6 /6.3 and I was at 6.3 at 600mm. So the DOF is I think because the bird is only about 1foot thick . Interestingly like many other cameras you can brush iso wheel by mistake so in these very fast flight opportunities and change it as I have already learned. Sticking plaster is working though.Randy the eye seems as though there is some nictiating membrane .I'll send the next frame or so, might be better, but not quite as sharp away from the focal point as there is a greater wing spread.! Again thanks.