Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/1600 sec
    Aperture : F8

ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, Hyena pups are always great fun (although this is a bit older) and this one looks quite mischievous.

Yes I remeber this one, but both Colour & Exposures appear off, if I take a reading say on the BKG or ear then with values in Temp -9 Tint -20 gives me a 50.2/50.2/50.1 and then up the exp by a third. Where you take it thereafter is your call, framing works. It may have rained and the greens bright, but here Jon it looks like more as if it had been near Chernobyl.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good evening Jon,

Cute, and naughty hyaena child this is! One can tell by just looking at those eyes...

Framing spot on and pose is great, nice POV. Image a bit dark... and some magenta on the bridge of the nose?

Techs look good. For me grass is ok, I would just go lighter on the hyaena a bit, somewhere in-between yours and Steve's.

Was this taken here in SA? Kruger Park? When are you coming back?
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I understand what Steve is saying about the grass however i also understand Gabriela saying it works fine for her. I must say (in my truly humble and amateur opinion) i prefer Jonathons post particularly from a colour of the hyena point of view

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I don't know why I make such hard work out of processing images from other countries! I can't tell you how many different versions I made. One of my initial versions was like Steve's but I thought it looked washed out then I made others and the greens were garish. I put a bit of extra colour in the hyena because I thought it looked better. There is a grad filter on the base - probably too strong - making the greens too punchy.
    Gabriela I don't know is the simple answer but I really would like to return to Kruger, possibly concentrating on the southern area as opposed to the whole reserve which is what we did last time. Last time we hired a car at Jo'bg airport and drove - about 4hr I think, I would maybe consider an internal flight for convenience next time - depends on cost.

I'll dig out another and see if I can make a better job - thanks again everyone.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Jon,

Regarding Kruger, I am sure you have noticed, the North is simply stunning in terms of the environment but there's less wildlife. The South is incredible, lots of sightings...I prefer to stay off the main roads though, for some peace and quiet
    Have not booked anything for next year either, still wondering where to go

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... still looking somehow sweet your Hyena .
    I do like the " action " and the " control look " of the subject .... keeping an eye on the viewer . Very nice !
    Personally I think the OP is a tiny bit too dark , not much though . The basic tonal range is working well for me .... the colors , well matter of taste . Leave the colors to you .

TFS Andreas