Thread: Rseate Spoobill in Arizona

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rseate Spoobill in Arizona

Attached Images Attached Images

We normally do not get this species. He/she showed up last year and decided to return. I was happy to get several poses from him/her.

A1
    200-600mm
    1.4 TC
    Shot at 840mm
    1/5000 at f/9
    ISO 800

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hello,

the light and details are very nice. perspective is great. congratulations. Colors appear saturated on my screen. maybe

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like this one Kurt. Lovely detail, colours, BG and the reflection is perfect. Been looking at the A1/200-600 combo myself. Would love to be able to photograph these birds...our Spoonbills here are all white, with black bills. TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Kurt, I really like the framing of the subject, having the reflection and also the tip of the bill just in the water for me, just works. Being slightly angled to camera has also helped, but sadly overall, either the images was slightly under exposed or the PP is off and if you have used Lr and kept to the standard profile added Contrast & Clarity then LR has bitten back as it does. However, I'm guessing as you haven't added anything additional info in the intro.

The BKG currently is sooty, grainy and to me highlights the above comments, but the image shot at ISO 800 should be super clean, no need for any NR what so ever, pin sharp with awesome detail. The whole image needs opening up, get those super, vibrant colours to really ping and let the detail come out with and adding more USM too. 1/5000 seems a bit excessive, 1/3200 should be good, but as I said, at 800 the file should be outstanding and with a revisit and some simple changes unless under exposed you should have something really good to hang on a wall.

Just my take based on the above, but there is a limit to what you can do as a RP with 256 colours and second guessing in terms of light. If you want a bit more warm fine, easy, but at least you can see a lot more overall.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I first saw the noise as well, so Steve's repost really does improve things. Nice low angle and neat reflection. I love the waves reflecting back onto the spoonbill's body. Good light too!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work Kurt....I really like the position of the bill as it hits the water....The reflection adds....Love the POV and the colours throughout....Steve's repost does give the image an extra boost....

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kurt, just love the feel of this frame. The point of view was great and, as mentioned, the bill hitting the water rocks!

Like the lush backdrop. I think you framed it perfectly with just enough of the water left below the reflection.

Sure there's probably a little room for tweaking and a bit of sharpening, but very nicely captured!