Thread: Like It? Or Not?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Like It? Or Not?

Attached Images Attached Images

Pacific Race Brown Pelican — pre-breeding plumage — carpet neck & bill detail

This image was created 6 January 2020 while scouting for the 2020 San Diego IPT. I used the tripod-mounted Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS lens, the Sony FE 1.4x Teleconverter, and the 61-MP Sony Alpha a7R IV Mirrorless Digital Camera Body. ISO 400. Exposure determined by Zebras with ISO on the rear dial: 1/1000 sec. at f/8 (stopped down one stop) in Manual mode. AWB at 10:02am on sunny morning. Center Zone Continuous/tracking AF was active at the moment of exposure.

I like doing body-parts-abstracts. To see a tight crop of the a7r IV detail and a more traditional frame of the same bird, see the blog posthere.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome and appreciated.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry Artie , I appreciate great detail in the subject but the missing eye doesn't float my boat, lots of posterisation - never seen so much in the blue background.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Sorry Artie , I appreciate great detail in the subject but the missing eye doesn't float my boat, lots of posterisation - never seen so much in the blue background.
    See the more standard image at the blog post linked to above. Thanks for pointing out the posterization. I must have screwed up the JPEG creation and I think that I know how. The repost here should be fine.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I normally would like to see the eyes, but this seems to work still because of the lines. The repost looks much better. What was the difference in your processing? Asking because I have had posterization a few times as well after doing some NR.
    Last edited by Kurt Bowman; 11-21-2021 at 03:47 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Kurt. I am pretty sure that I accidentally started with a relatively small JPEG and re-processed that. Yikes! I went back and began with the master file and all was well. I will be doing a video on creating quality JPEGs soon. See the blog for details in a few days.

with love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 11-21-2021 at 06:44 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Artie,
    crazy choice. Detail texture and pp in place. let's say art.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, I like it, it's different and the strong, bold colours makes for a striking composition.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A Not for me... Nothing exceptional that an EYE would not help...
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

While there is an appealing graphic art nature to the image, I'm in the like to see an eye group.

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Have to agree after looking at this for some time...amazing detail and colours...but I need that eye.

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it too, SKA

Image design is great. This is something unusual, not what we see every day. Inclusion of the eye would distract the viewer who would miss out on those lovely patterns. Striking colours and detail, it would print well on canvas

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

14. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    A Not for me... Nothing exceptional that an EYE would not help...
    Thanks for leaving a comment, Dan. After reading it several times, I cannot figure out what you mean. Please explain.

with love, artie

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, I cannot decide whether I like it or not. The colors are very nice, as are the feather patterns. If pushed I guess I am more liking the image than not. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. I like it a lot. Abstracts like this are fun to look for, and to create. Obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but the same can be said of blurs, silhouettes, and many other styles.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, from a purely abstract perspective it's nice. Being an Avian forum, we're so used to seeing the eyes (and necessarily so) but getting outside of that mindset, yeah it's cool and different.

The posterization is odd for sure, but if you processed a jpg then perhaps that's the issue.

You might also try one eliminating the tip of the beak. I know that may sound weird. but use the tones and textures with the diagonal line and I think it would make people pause for a moment and add interest.