Thread: Sparrow Hawk (J) in Autumn (Fall) colours

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sparrow Hawk (J) in Autumn (Fall) colours

Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, the next posting will be different in terms of species!!!

OK so this is the juvenile again on the killing/plucking log, but this time the trees have all turn to the Autumn (fall) colours, but sadly the light is still just as bad and so ISO6400 is the default setting. This is FF, but we always tend to hide the head, albeit another posting will show it, with a question...

Thanks to those who commented or viewed the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Sparrow hawk (J) (Accipiter nisus)
    Camera: Canon EOS R5
    Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXT
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/7.1 ISO6400
    Original format: Landscape, FF
    Processed via: LRCC 10.5 & PSCC 22.5.1

Shot from our hide, baited with road kill.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks good to me Steve, composition spot on, colours (including reds!) equally so, I appreciate you have maximised the dynamic range of your camera, lights and darks pretty much controlled. I notice you are not afraid to show one eye is brighter than the other, in my book that is a good thing
    (We always hide the head - who's we? I am not aware of this phenomenon!)
    (I still cannot understand why, but the image quality is noticeably better when downloaded to PSCC, eyesight checked and new specs, vision excedes 20/20).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dynamic image and nice angle to view... I personally would run more NR on the BG.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, it’s the ‘Royal we’, , you know where I’m coming from, but need to get some other species posted before another SH. Yep, IQ when uploaded does drop and doesn’t really portray things perfectly, even at 1920, and I’m certainly not opening up the Pandora’s box on monitors. This is why, I have always said, my comments are always based on viewing the file in PS in a controlled environment and also when making the suggestions I know they work because they are applied to the image, then discarded.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

love this one Steve, gotta say your best frame in a while, the view of the prey is just priceless. IQ looks great here and makes absolutely no difference if viewed in PS or in browser unless something is totally messed up in the browser.

pretty much perfect

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love that autumn background, and the dilated pupils immediately draw our attention. Techs all look good. I like this full body view the best of all the images you've posted.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Master work.

congratulations

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks.

WOW Arash, that's a comment or two, almost the equivalent of a 'Paul Hollywood' hand shake, don't worry is a UK thing, but held in high esteem.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... this frame does play in a different league compared to the previous postings , no wonder with that nice BG .
    Lovely autumn colors !!!
    Just an image to enjoy on all counts .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas, as I say, if we had the light Arash has, this would just push it up another few notches. Seems backdrop colours can play a part in noise, but also have pushed a little more, seems better, but…

R5/6 will in part, become R3s, sadly not the MK3, but it will have some more bells & whistles.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a beauty Steve....I like this one the best....The Autumn colours and DOF look real good...Brilliant pose on the Hawk, and the feather detail on both birds looks perfect...Nae nits here....

Well done and TFS

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

DATPCA. If it were mine, I'd lighten the shadowed side of the face a bit, and remove the large round specular highlight just in front of the bird's breast. What is the prey? Rock Dove (aka Rock Pigeon)?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What is the prey? Rock Dove (aka Rock Pigeon)?
    Thanks Artie, yes it is, a bit stupid and they often fly into oncoming traffic, so road kill on country lanes is easy pickings and proves a good source of supply.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

You already know how much I like this. Superb pose from the Hawk and 'killer stare'...Great positioning of subject as well as dove, within the frame.

Well exposed and great techs, love the colours. Nice DoF, background is truly stunning.
    If the Z9 delivers frames of this quality at ISO 6400 I am buying it

Thank you so much for sharing, such a pleasure to view,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela much appreciated, well you know what is leaking in the wings, but yes, very happy with this and you know some of the thinking in terms of the prey position and avoiding some of the gratuitous parts.

Z9, well Nikon has a long way to go and also to begin to claw back the market, we will see??? You can’t base it on just reviews, you need to get your paws on one, which hopefully will not be too long. I wish you well and if Peter gets his, then happy to share his thoughts.