Thread: Greater Yellowlegs

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Greater Yellowlegs

I spent last week bird- and photo-guiding at the Rio Grande Birding Festival in South Texas, and I was able to sneak away for some of my own shooting when not dealing with clients/attendees (most of whom didn't know **** about photography!). It was fun regardless of their abilities, and I was happy to have some time to practice with the R5 each afternoon. Eye tracking is good but not infallible so far. It does help with keeping focus on birds when I'm prone on the ground, so that's a huge improvement over my DX2. I think these low angle shorebird shots are harder for the camera than some flight shots. Here the eye is bobbing all around as the bird walks, but it stays level and flat in a lot of flight frames. For example, the camera did really well tracking flying tern's eyes even when the birds were too far away to present satisfactory results. So, more experimentation needed.

Interestingly, I see this species all the time -- around my Bay Area home and during my wider travels -- but I haven't had a decent photo opportunity at it in 8 years. So, I'm happy to report that this frame represents my best capture of this species to date.

Canon 600mm IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/4000 at f/5.6, ISO 800
    Processed in LR CC. Removed the reflected catchlight in the eye, but nothing else added or cloned.

Name:  greater yellowlegs going left 111421.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  491.1 KB
    Last edited by Dorian Anderson; 11-16-2021 at 10:01 AM.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul, sasan nejadi thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Happy new camera , beautiful shot , low angle , BG and iQ is very good.... TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Classic pose and the raised foot is alway a bonus.... Nice IQ..
    A bit tight at bottom for me, could use just a tad more.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A clean well executes frame, lots of details and sweet light. I bet after getting used to 50ish mega pixels there is no going back to 20 :D

I agree without eye tracking the low angle (especially walking) shots were always a crap shoot, now it's a piece of cake!

TFS pretty frame
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image. Love the light and background. I guess my only quibble would be the the tail feathers being out of focus.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Dorian,

eyes, bird species, light and background are perfect. For me the light can be softened and the whites taken away.
    Congratulations.
    Glad you got the R5.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely and perfect. DATPCA. I am with Dan in wishing for a bit more room below.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.