Thread: Osprey and rocks

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Osprey and rocks

Attached Images Attached Images

I spent three afternoons at Point Arkwright (around 90km north of from Brisbane on the Sunshine Coast) photographing Ospreys and Brahminy Kites as well Wrens and Honeyeaters. Here's one that I like. Overcast conditions and intermittent rain on the third afternoon, but great fun. Would have liked a better HA.

D500/500PF, 1/3200th sec@f5.5, iso1600. Basic adjustments in acr and ps. Some selective NR/sharpening. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, this one isn't working for me, BG is distracting and the wing position is not there...head looks funny for some reason

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash. Appreciate the feedback. Funny...I really like the BG here...part of the environment...I have too many Osprey shots with clear blue skies. I also like the wing position. Will look at the raw again...the head looks ok on my calibrated monitor.
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 11-15-2021 at 04:22 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, the image appears under exposed to me and also I would say there is some colour noise, especially in the dark wing, eye looks to be 'recovered/lightened', is this a big crop? In addition I just wished the vertical line of the rock behind wasn't running through the head.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Paul,

If it were me, I'd lie there and fight to finish this bird :) good luck.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve. Thank you for the feedback. I'll take another look at the raw and re process. With Ospreys I'm always trying to expose in such a way as not to clip the whites on the head. Yes, it's a crop, so IQ has suffered I guess. This Osprey was rising quickly from the water before turning left, so this was the best of the burst of images...I'm fine with the vertical line through the head...never thought about it when I viewed the image, but can see your point now. Cheers.
    Volkan: Thank you, but I'm unsure what you mean here?

7. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Background is just far enough from the bird that I think you can get away with it. It's not perfect, but it's something different (as you said). My bigger issue is the wing position; farther up or farther down would be more striking. I think the exposure on the bird looks pretty good (maybe slightly under as Steve suggested), and the captured some nice details in the feathers and feet. Bit more head turn would help the subject connect better.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with you on all points Dorian, but I do like the wing positions however.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry Paul,

translate :/ good photo. good bird :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with the esteemed Arash. This is not your best. The WHIITEs looks funky and grey. The wing position sucks (sorry). The bird's head is angled away from us. And the dark shadow in the rocks behind the bird drags the viewer's eye ...

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The I is where the eyedropper was. Note the BLUE cast in the RGB values.

with love artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie...Your feedback is noted. However, I do disagree re the wing position, but only 100%

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Volkan.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Thanks Artie...Your feedback is noted. However, I do disagree re the wing position, but only 100%
    Hey Paul,

When and if we meet remind me to stick my hand right in your face :)

with love, artie

ps: perhaps you will learn to hate that wing position some day ...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Osprey2

Hi Artie. Would love to meet you one day...I know I'd learn a lot from you (or are you too old to make the trip down under) So, it would seem that the best wing positions (according to many people) are with wings either fully up or down. However, even if that is true, I still don't feel the position of the Osprey's wings totally "suck"...just maybe not "textbook" ideal. (actually this position reminds me somewhat of the trident aircraft tail wing position) anyhow, here's another frame from the same burst of images...this time with the wings fully down. I know it suffers from the other issues mentioned, but I guess you like the wing position better? (and yes, the head should be clear of the wings). Stay safe.

Paul

ps: Putting your hand in my face could be detrimental to your health...I'd have to bite your shutter finger off
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 11-19-2021 at 10:07 PM.