Thread: Brown Bear head twist ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown Bear head twist ...

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... another one from Kamtchatka .
    Mummy brown bear shaking herself .... after a non successful trial to get a fat salmon . Her kids were just resting at the beach .... just a few meters to my LHS to see what mummy might be ale to catch .
    I am not 100 % happy with the output , as far as the head movement goes ... but was the best out of 10 frames . Well not 30 frames per second was used ...
    But tried to get the most out of it .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II
    Tripod

F 6,3 ; ISO 640 ; 1/2500 sec .... well SS either too slow or fast , depending on the thinking when taking this kinda shots .

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2022 ; slightly cropped for comp and this time 1900 px ( Jon)

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas I don't see much to complain about, a dynamic image, very eye catching - pun intended. I can see detail in the nose and around the moth, the eye looks to be clearly delineated, the fur isn't over sharpened, composition is fine and we have a spectacular water spray. I would be interested to see what it is you are dissatisfied with - output? is it the area around the nose you wanted to be sharper, there is a sense of movement there but of course the bear is moving - what's wrong - I don't get it?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

To an amateur like me the techs look perfect. The image just oozes eye catching character and that something different factor. Pretty sure that most people viewing this image are going to either think or say .......WOW

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon and Basil for your kind comments ... much appreciated .

@ Basil ... i am an amateur like you

@ Jon ... at web size the image is almost fine , for my expectations .... but had to add some additional selective sharpening , which I normally never do .

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hallo Andreas,

Personally I am quite happy with your frame as presented although I do understand your concerns in terms of techs and movement... I dare say SS is on the cusp, given the bear's vigorous head shake

Colours and tones are great. BG is awesome, super framing. Good degree of sharpening in PP. For me it is the 'wild eye' that makes the image, draws me in. I really think it's an awesome sighting and the frame does justice to this superb beast.
    And lastly...processing not bad at all for an 'amateur', Boetie I think you are 'fishing' for compliments Well done!!!

Have a wonderful rest of the week...

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela ,
    your thoughts are always welcome .
    Am not a fishermen by nature ... agree with you processing is ok and the wild eye is why I have chosen this frame

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, perhaps going slower here so the facial express is less, but I do find the colours a bit too pushed for my tastes.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve .... kindly disagree , even faster SS would have been required to eliminate the last bits of motion blur . I actually like the " freaky looking" eye . Secondly no extra pushing of the colors .... was going along with tonal adjustments , could have reduce the colors afterwards but I actually like them .

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

even faster SS would have been required to eliminate the last bits of motion blur
    I said to go slower, so you have MORE motion blur.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve .. i understood your point within your comment , but I was not going for motion blur ....