Thread: Image Design Question

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Image Design Question

Attached Images Attached Images

Anhinga, female in Pond (or Bald) Cypress

I created this image on 4 November at Circle B Bar Preserve in Lakeland, FL. While standing, I used the Levered-clamp Flexshooter Pro/Induro GIT 304L tripod-mounted Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS lens (at 467mm) and The One, the Sony Alpha 1 Mirrorless digital camera. ISO 1000. Exposure determined via Zebras with ISO on the rear dial: 1/320 sec. at f/6.3 (wide open) in Manual mode. RawDigger showed that the brightness of the raw file was perfect. AWB at 3:39pm on a cloudy afternoon.

Tracking: upper center Zone AF-C Bird/Eye Detection AF was active at the moment exposure and worked perfectly. Be sure to click on the image to enjoy the hi-res version.

What compositional rule/guideline have I violated with this image (and also with Image #4 in the blog post here.)

Visit that post if you need a plate or low foot for your Sony 200-600 G lens, or if you would like to learn about my a1 Info and Updates e-mail Group.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments and suggestions are welcome,

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am not sure what rule is broken here. Is it that the bird is not looking at you? , not sure. I really love the picture anyway. Never knew such colors exists in Anhinga. I thought they are all full black
    ;-)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, I suspect you are referring to the rule of thirds and golden ratio? As the bird is so tall it makes more sense to position the head where you did. Had you placed the head in the familiar "rule" position you would have had a lot of empty space at the top of the frame. I like the composition as is, I suspect the surrounding foliage is contributing to the rich (yellowish) colouration.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Artie, I suspect you are referring to the rule of thirds and golden ratio? As the bird is so tall it makes more sense to position the head where you did. Had you placed the head in the familiar "rule" position you would have had a lot of empty space at the top of the frame. I like the composition as is, I suspect the surrounding foliage is contributing to the rich (yellowish) colouration.
    Thanks, Jon. But that was not at all my thinking. I have no clue as to the "golden ratio" and the rule of thirds rarely applies to verticals ... At least the way that I think and see.

with love, artie

ps: I do agree with you on the composition being pleasing ...
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the rule you may be referring to is not having room for the full tail, which is obscured by the moss, included in the frame.
    A beautiful image Arthur!

6. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur .... who cares about those rules , and more important who is thinking about him/herself to dictate rules for others ????

All rules are killing more or less creativity ... well IMHO .

I think it is just a matter of individual taste .... but if anyone wants wants to follow rules , go for it .

So .... I cannot see any form of violation , using your term .

TFS Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 11-14-2021 at 11:44 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Arthur .... who cares about those rules , and more important who is thinking about him/herself to dictate rules for others ????

All rules are killing more or less creativity ... well IMHO .

I think it is just a matter of individual taste .... but if anyone wants wants to follow rules , go for it .

So .... I cannot see any form of violation , using your term .

TFS Andreas
    Thanks, Andreas. I agree that rules stifle creativity. I have never been one to blindly follow the "rules," photographically or otherwise. My photography is often guided by a series of artistic principles that I believe in. Jim, in Pane #6, hit upon what I was looking for, the fact that I clipped the virtual tail (obscured by the vegetation). I was aware of that when I pressed the shutter button and wound up liking it a lot better than the slightly wider shot.

And I never suggest that folks should follow any photography rules (other than "stay on the path" when that is the rule) :)

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Narayanan Mangalath View Post
    I am not sure what rule is broken here. Is it that the bird is not looking at you? , not sure. I really love the picture anyway. Never knew such colors exists in Anhinga. I thought they are all full black
    ;-)
    Thanks, Naren. I am fine with the head position and angle. The female Anhingas have brown hoods. You should see them in early spring in breeding plumage!!!

with love, artie

10. Thanks Narayanan Mangalath thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great look at those huge feet, but I do wish that the tail wasn't cut off. Details looks a pretty good, but you might be able to lift the black a bit. Habitat is a bit busy, but that's how these birds appear in the wild. I might clone out the dangling bit of moss in the upper left. A bit more direct eye contact would strengthen the shot as well.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this as presented, Sir Arthur Great view of those huge feet. Image well exposed and great colours.

Tail partially covered by vegetation so not an issue IMO. Would not remove the moss at the top because this is where the subject is looking, so it forms part of the story. As well as helps balance the frame

A pleasure to view, thank you so much for sharing.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea