Thread: Sparrow hawk (f) close-up

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sparrow hawk (f) close-up

Attached Images Attached Images

Here I wanted to crop really tight in, (this is FF), all I wanted was to keep focus on the subject and try also to portray it's gorgeous markings. In addition, the carcass of the prey is kept to a minimum and that is something I may expand on with a different posting next time. I can live with the slightly clipped RHS, as the hawk is constantly on the move, a penalty of going tight with a fixed lens. Yes, with hindsight moving the lens a wee bit more to the right and then adding canvas to the LHS at PP stage would have been an option, but the whole scene is in total flux.

Thanks to those who commented or viewed the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Sparrow hawk (f) (Accipiter nisus)
    Camera: Canon EOS R5
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/9 ISO6400
    Original format: Portrait, FF
    Processed via: LRCC 10.5 & PSCC 22.5.1

Shot from our hide, baited with road kill.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, the Sparrowhawk looks pretty spectacular to me I think you have really got the detail and colours very well represented. The image looks as clean as a whistle.
    I am slightly uneasy with the tight in the frame but I do think it works. (Why not use your big zoom lens in these circumstances?) The roadkill was I suspect in shade but I wonder if the reds are just a little rich??

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Jon!

I am slightly uneasy with the tight in the frame but I do think it works.
    Normally the 200-400 is the go too, here I just wanted to isolate the subject and go for detail. I guess, in an ideal world a 600 would be the optimal lens. Going tight as is, avoiding the 2x was a conscious decision and keeping the kill to just a hint. It also was the basis for the thinking last weekend on how to photograph this subject in the 'fall colours' which we briefly touch on this week, with a 2-0 to you guys, but will keep my powder dry until I'm back and process the two images and see 'what the team thinks'. If you have any additional thoughts in photographing this subject, holler ASAP, as the WP road kill is in the car for the morning.

The roadkill was I suspect in shade but I wonder if the reds are just a little rich??
    Can't remember, but if it is, perhaps it's just a splash of colour????
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the shot as is, initially thought too tight but find myself drawn to that head, eye and open beak with the rest just story context.
    IMO it would be good to somehow bring the upper mandible tip out from the dark BG.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the tones (as usual) and the use of DOF and the tight intimate view. Actually, I'm totally Ok with right side of frame but miss the other talon. You soo nailed the behavior, the feather pattern and that eye. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve. When I first clicked on the image I only saw the top section...just above the oof section, and I really liked it. When I scrolled down to view the whole image I felt my eye drawn to that oof section. So, for me this image doesn't work, despite the clear face/eye, which is superb. I guess a head/shoulder shot would work for me, and seems to go along with your statement of "keeping focus on the subject". Just my 2 cents.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's fine guys, but I would still shoot the frame rather than not, but at least you can see the IQ at ISO6400 compare to a lot of frames posted at much lower ISO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve .... looks very good in terms of IQ within the subject .
    But cannot make my peace with those artifacts in the BG ... sorry .
    Looked several times at the frame and finally decided that the framing is not working for me ....

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That’s fine Andreas, as I said, I need to push the camera to find the pitfalls, likewise so will you in due course with the R3, but less so with the ISO IQ. Very few folk push the boundaries, hopefully last weeks & todays hopefully address certain artifacts issues,( something I’m not used to, but if you live in the world of ISO1600 and less you have the ideal world.

Enjoy your new toy when you get it and the joys of setting it up, it’s fun.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it.....Just wished the bird wasn't cut off....Brilliant detail in the head area...the 'white' triangle at the top of the tail draws my eye a wee bit....Having the prey OOF appeals to a lot of people....and it works here.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What we can see is beautiful. But the framing with the left side of the bird and the right foot completely cut off is the image killer. If you had the rest of the left wing in the frame, a square crop might work well.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Will, thanks Artie, and I agree - valid points.

Artie - FYI both Adult & juvenile females are wild, but have been entice with road kill and to date, have proved a good ‘photo’ source but they still very much retains their wild side, hunting in the surrounding location. Therefore, I have a truckload of images ranging from wide to tight in format, creating a 'pool' to select from. As you know these birds are skittish and feed incredibly quickly and speedily, but the UK currently now is going into the fall (Autumn), and so light is a challenge, likewise he techs, and so it’s been a good test bed for the R5 and I now know the limitations, but it has also helped to configure the camera too, unlike the 1DX series we both know very well. Hopefully the next posting will address the above issues and in some 'striking fall colours' too.

BTW Previous posting was presented in a square format.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    That’s fine Andreas, as I said, I need to push the camera to find the pitfalls, likewise so will you in due course with the R3, but less so with the ISO IQ. Very few folk push the boundaries, hopefully last weeks & todays hopefully address certain artifacts issues,( something I’m not used to, but if you live in the world of ISO1600 and less you have the ideal world.

Enjoy your new toy when you get it and the joys of setting it up, it’s fun.
    Hi Steve ... yes it will be new step for me and I am very excited , how all the technical things will work . As you know I am not afraid at all .... as yourself ... to push the kit to the limit and beyond .
    I am excited too , about the very often pointless discussions about the used gear .... looking at web size images here on this site . The gear and software are just tools ... in the artists hands .