Thread: Rain Shake

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rain Shake

Attached Images Attached Images

On a dull rainy day a Kookaburra just shakes it off.
    R5 EF600 f4 III resting on deck railing
    1/500 f5.6 iso1600
    Not too many sharp feathers, astonishing that the tail did not move. RAW processed in Topaz sharpen
    Large crop

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin, I would suggest too large a crop, feather detail is inconsistent, I cannot help but feel Topaz has a free rein to do what it wants. These plug ins are ok up to a point but I think you have to control them and not just trust that they always know what is best.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon, wishful thinking on my part, as always!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin, I am not too sure of that ... The image looks decent from here but I am confused by your workflow, specifically this: RAW processed in Topaz sharpen

Can you please explain exactly what you mean by that. Can you convert a raw file in Sharpen AI???

I rather like the image and I do not know the bird but it looks as if there is a large MAGENTA cast ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: why not a decent tripod and head?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hi Colin, I am not too sure of that ... The image looks decent from here but I am confused by your workflow, specifically this: RAW processed in Topaz sharpen

Can you please explain exactly what you mean by that. Can you convert a raw file in Sharpen AI???

I rather like the image and I do not know the bird but it looks as if there is a large MAGENTA cast ...

with love, artie

Thanks Artie. Yes you can drag a RAW image in to Topaz Sharpen AI. It gets saved as .dng which can then be processed in camera raw.
    It can muck up the bokeh in patches that require some repair. I only use it in extreme cases such as this where the bird was shaking vigorously.
    I don't find any cast with nothing showing in the histogram.
    And in answer to your tripod question, I do have a very nice INDURO carbon fiber tripod and BENRO GH2 gimbal head. I'm LAZY!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

There might not be a color caste if the bird is purple…
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good point Dan, I guess it does have a slight purplish tinge on the near wing in particular. I did put that down to wet brown feathers but fiddling with selective color does reduce it a bit, Thanks

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin ... a really cool image I think .
    The behavior is great as is the comp , BG is nicely separated and the greenery in ULC is adding some context .

The IQ has at least suffered from heavy processing IMHO ... WB completely off and the contrast is way too high for me . Might be just me ....

The bird might have some purple tinge in some darker feather areas .... just raise that question if the lighter feathers , the mid tone feathers , the twigs and some other OOF elements are also having that tinge in real life ???? Well for me not ..... but your and others call . And no big deal as colors are so subjective .

TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin, at 1/500 I think you have both motion blur in the subject with it's movement (fine), but also pixel blur too, personally I don't think the raw is sharp, but oversharp as presented to extract sharpness. No detail in the whites. I agree with Artie, there is a magenta cast irrespective of the subjects plumage, the colours look muddy and just lacks any real clarity/detail.

You don't need to save as a DNG, but hey, if that's your workflow fine.

It can muck up the bokeh in patches that require some repair.
    I'm pretty sure you are referring to colour noise and with dark greens/under exposed files the R5 is not a happy bunny.

I do have a very nice INDURO carbon fiber tripod and BENRO GH2 gimbal head. I'm LAZY!
    You need too if you keep your techs as is in low light conditions, why not up the ISO for a tad more SS?????

I do think the original thinking and framing works in principle Colin, but I just don't understand how things get so far off point, this is probably well away from the conditions, but worth a punt.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the input, appreciated as always.
    Steve, that is not a great representation of the bird!
    I have processed it conventionally for this re-post.
    DPP4 CC2021 PS NR to BG only Neat Image 8
    Unsharp mask bird only.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the input, appreciated as always. Steve, that is not a great representation of the bird!
    Well all I did was try to correct the WB from the OP, but to be honest there isn't much you can do with it.

I have processed it conventionally for this re-post.
    It's an improvement Colin, why you didn't go the 'conventional' route (whatever that might be in the first place I'm not sure), but the image isn't ideal, I just can grasp how the camera is set up to deliver the files and the PP method???BTW it's best to use NR at the Raw stage (source content with all its original characteristics) than as a baked tiff where you are using Pixels.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Collin ... in none of the three versions does the bird looks like in real life . Can see a specimen everyday if I like to ....
    Steve had the great disadvantage to start with a file that is way off the chart , so I think it is somehow funny that you come back with such wording that the subject does look different in real life ???!!!

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the feel of the OP....it is showing a purple coloured cast ....but the image is very pleasing to the eye....fix that and you have a fine image Colin

Will