Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ...
    just a quick one from the archive .
    Image taken at Kuril Lake

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    Tripod

F 5,6 ; Iso 640 ; 1/2000 sec

Albeit being a sunny day , low fog was present the whole morning .... just making it difficult to get sharp images over distance .

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2022

Thanks for watching and commenting to previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Roughly 3 weeks to wait .... for the step into a slightly different shooting world . Not the best time of the year to start with it .... but does not matter will try to find some options .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Roughly 3 weeks to wait .... for the step into a slightly different shooting world . Not the best time of the year to start with it .... but does not matter will try to find some options .
    ....do tell....let me guess....it has no mirror?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As I am getter older and less attractive ... was thinking I try to avoid any mirror in the future , at least partially .

4. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas — What a sight ! And IQ is superb as always. Great work.

Loved the framing here, the Bears are nicely placed. You have also made
    most of the nice light inspite of the fog.

Looking forward for images from the new gear whenever it arrives.

TFS.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see you posting at 1900, offers a better view of things.

The low shooting angle works, likewise the framing, always nice to get within the bears, they are such cool animals. I appreciate the mist issue, but perhaps I might have expected a bit more from you, LOL, did you push the blues?

I was just reviewing some R3 files yesterday, good luck in setting it up, as some settings may appear to look like 1DX, but to get Animal eye detection to work there are some settings you definitely need to change and how you configure, EVF menu can be a minefield in its set up too, but it is awesome.

TFS
    Steve

BTW R1 might be around 10k this time next year!!!!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb .... the gear should arrive around the 26th , but today all is very strange in the world of tech and parts supply . Am waiting already about a half year for spare parts ... to get my MTB back on the trails and no end is in sight , even worse .

Thanks Steve ... sorry that I did not reach your expectations , mea culpa , try to process better with the next one..... maybe it was I was using my limited intelligence instead of the possible AI , LOL . The blues are not specially pushed in terms of saturation ... I just gave them a slight kick by darkening them through a selection of the blue tonal range .

You are always a few steps ahead when it comes to new toys .... but I am guessing you had preproduction files to look at , right ??? Yeah I will see how I get along with the new techie beast , called R3 . I might get back to you .... when it comes to pointers about setting that beast up .
    I am pretty sure .... I am not willing to invest more than something around 7k , unless the R3 fails ....

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve ... sorry that I did not reach your expectations , mea culpa , try to process better with the next one..... maybe it was I was using my limited intelligence instead of the possible AI , LOL . The blues are not specially pushed in terms of saturation ... I just gave them a slight kick by darkening them through a selection of the blue tonal range .
    I just think it perhaps isn't as good as previous, no 'pop' at the PP, just thinking based on your PP skills, but then sometimes it simply comes down to the file and the surrounding weather conditions. I can sympathise very much, as with the PB's, as you don't see the small snow particles falling, yet the file does. Looking forward to seeing more Bears, you can't get enough bears, a bit like Tigers too.

I am guessing you had preproduction files to look at , right ???
    No, actual production files from someone who got their hands on one, courtesy of Canon. The AF just gets better, but Cars as a Custom option, not something I will use, unless Flavio Briatore invites me back onto his boat at Monaco, which was nice. If you can, get either 256 or 512 card, or two 256 and the EF/RF Custom adaptor as you might find it's beneficial. On a full day with the Raptor and Electronic shutter I was close to running out of cards!!!!

The ideal scenario is a 21-24mpx & a 45mpx, ie R3/6 & R5, from what I saw yesterday re R1 the Press officer needs shooting with a conflicting message, along with the Nikon person re Z9 (over $2bn sales ), they then said they put a zero in too many times, or a decimal point, LOL.

Don't ask me re settings, apparently I know nothing, just remember how AF works, you then will have a better grasp on eye detection. I still think the 1DX MK3 is sharper, Animal Eye detection makes it feel as if you are cheating.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok Steve ... no question of skills , just thought and think it is well processed . For sure ( as most of the times) always room to process it with more punch/ color / tone and so forth .... actually did not want to get rid of the hazy look & feel in the lower parts of the image .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep, agree, it's just that main bear for me, but lets move on...

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So Canon boys getting back to the image! (Couldn't resist! After all, It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use. ) Only kidding!!

Firstly it looks like a 1600px image to me??? Colours and details look great, I am not sure if the OOF bear actually adds, it looks rather static and yet draws attention. Having said that I think it is a high quality image and it makes for pleasing viewing.
    I wish you the best of good fortune with the new camera, if you get equally good results then OK if better - well even better.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hallo Andreas,

I like this a lot... The main character has a cute stubborn face and he pops so well against that blue BG. Well framed and well exposed. Nicely processed with great colours and lots of punch... well, enough punch for my taste, anyway!

Don't mind bear no 2. because it adds to the image IMO. Indeed he is kind of 'static' and 'frozen in time' but his appearance appeals to my sense of humour, Boetie. He is standing there looking bored and waiting for big fish to pass by

For a moment I wondered why are you buying new gear when you can get such good results with what you got. But the next moment I remembered I asked Nikon for a Z9 to test - I too find a new body and new technology just irresistible, LOL.
    Really looking forward to see some images with your new camera...Have a wonderful week-end Boetie, and many thanks for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon and Gabriela for your kind comments ... much appreciated .

@ Jon - i am fully with you , not a question of the used gear . For me the second bear does not detract from the main subject .....

@ Gabriela - it would not be necessary to get the latest gear , when it comes to the output for my photography . But I like to have it .... so I ordered it , because I can at the moment . Life can be short , as I discovered this year . And running again into the next Covid disaster ... with a lot of limitations , so I thought why not be a boy and get the latest toy . Useful or not ....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Truly beautiful imo. Amazing just how sharp and packed with detail. I think the 2 tones in the background (blue and green) add nicely and personally don't think the back ground bear detracts from the image

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Basil ....