Thread: Father and son, kopje cats.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Father and son, kopje cats.

Attached Images Attached Images

Bob Jnr (BJ) and his son spending some quality time together one late afternoon on a kopje in Eastern Serengeti. Their attention is drawn to mum making her way up with her 2 cubs in tow.

Would have loved the pair further to the left of frame, and yes I could have cropped to a 4;5 portrait, but wanted to keep that full sky intact.

Bean bag front pax seat, TK adj's curves, levels in ACR, conv to B&W in PS CC '22.

Please excuse my absence of recent months, but so very very happy that after nearly 2 yrs locked up in "fortress OZ" our beloved Govt has finally granted us amnesty to travel overseas!
    I'll be back in the Serengeti for 3 weeks to document the Wildebeest calving season late FEB........cannot wait!

Nikon D850
    Nikkor 70-200E FL VR f/2.8
    1/1000s
    f/5.6
    ISO2200@ 155mm

1400px wide.

Cheers
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 11-11-2021 at 02:51 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc — Great to have you posting and glad to know the lifting of travel restrictions, you really must be missing Africa .

As to the image, it really is quite a sight . Loved the conversion , makes the sky more dramatic and the moment as well. I feel a bit more room in the direction the lions are looking should have balanced the frame IMO. But none the less the mood to the image is what I loved the most. Hope to see more posts from you .

TFS.

3. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc ... good luck and enjoy the new freedom .

Unusual image design , I kinda like it .
    Personally I would rather go for a infrared look .... the drama in the sky might come out even more .

TFS Andreas

5. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image too, you didn't say why you didn't move over to the right - there must have been a reason??? Had it been possible - rinky tinky!

7. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Personally I would rather go for a infrared look .... the drama in the sky might come out even more .
    Thanks Andreas, yes I did try that but not happy with how it "developed"

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I like the image too, you didn't say why you didn't move over to the right - there must have been a reason??? Had it been possible - rinky tinky!

Thanks Jon,

yes sorry, there was heavy brush/cover coming into play.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Marc,

And a warm welcome back here on BPN ! The wildlife forum has been rather quiet and I am sure our members appreciate your contribution. Tough times for everyone, and often impossible for the folks to travel and access those magic locations... but hopefully we are returning to some normality

Regarding your image, what I find most striking is the pose from this lovely male and his cub, they both look so excited to see the female with the other two cubs in tow. Sky is gorgeous and I like the patterns. As well as the male's mane, just awesome.

However, I find the placement of the subjects within the frame a little troublesome... albeit I do understand you had reason to compose in this manner. A few things you could perhaps address, the main boulder appears a little too sharp in comparison with the lions and there are some halos around the face of the male lion and vertical rock on the LHS.

Lovely sighting and I am super pleased that you are able to get out and about again. My apologies for late comments, I am overwhelmed with work at the moment and busy setting up a clinic at the pharmacy. In SA things are a little tough at the moment...a number of challenges to overcome but I am trying to convert every difficulty into an opportunity

Enjoy the Serengeti ,and I hope you have some magical sightings ! Thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think it is a wonderful image. I agree that the position of the subjects would improve it however the mood and that dramatic mane etc definately make it a keeper imo

13. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post