Thread: Northern plains grey langur ( Semnopithecus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern plains grey langur ( Semnopithecus)

Attached Images Attached Images

This is an updated version of a previous submission, it is a portrait crop from a landscape format - for the sake of composition.
    Olympus : E-M1X
    Focal Length : 210.0mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 421.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 320
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/200 sec
    Aperture : F4

ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, glad to see you visiting old files, you just never know what you may uncover.

I like the POV and the monkey on the log looking to camera. At f/4 seems you got the fur but the face doesn't quite have the 'working' detail, again coupled with the sharpening regime. I guess distance and the drop in IQ going from landscape to portrait isn't helping, could you have got closer or zoomed in??? Overall the image looks dark with what looks to be a heft vignette applied which is also hampering the available detail. Personally I might loose a bit off the top. I might be tempted to clone out the log to the rear.

Jon, this isn't definitive, just clarifying the direction I think it might be worth exploring????

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

I do remember seeing this Langur image. There's something special - or shall we call it 'conversational' - about the pose, the direct stare and hand over the arch of the foot. I liked it then and I like it now even more, composition works and that bit of extra detail Steve brings out helps a great deal.

The OP is indeed a bit too dark. And I agree, the grey log behind the subject is distracting. I notice Steve cropped from the top but also from the LHS - this helps remove the tiny bit of OOF vegetation (bottom left) as well as positions the Langur a bit more off centre.

I am as finicky as Steve in terms of little details, so please forgive me for nitpicking or repeating what he already said. Those changes he suggests may seem trivial to some but they do help create a certain aesthetic standard most of us strive to achieve.

I did enjoy viewing this image, a lot. And hope you go back to those ' archives ' and reprocess with new skills and knowledge. Looking forward to see more from you

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve and Gabriela for you comments and the repost Steve. As you may imagine I made a number of differing versions of this including lighter ones similar to Steve's repost, I anticipated a repost such as this. I feel my version is much closer to the conditions, the monkey was side lit and much was in relative shade so whilst you may feel the repost shows more detail I prefer my version. The old story comes to mind i.e. what looks "better" as opposed to what it was.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's fine Jon, but as I asked on this and the deer, are you applying a vignette????
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indeed Jon, you are so right, the issue of 'what looks better' as opposed to 'what it was' will always come up, always a challenge . You might agree, certain features in photographic images will please the viewers more than others, but then again... judging beauty and aesthetic qualities remains a highly subjective task. There has never been an unanimously agreed standard for measuring aesthetic value

What do I look for in an image? Clarity, detail, texture in fur or feathers. Subject must stand out. I would like my own images to look good for me, but also for the viewers' pleasure. If I start with a poorly executed frame I will end up with a poorly executed final image, no matter how much I try to salvage it. So I try to be as picky as possible during the 'culling' process, and like Steve once advised me, visualise the end result.
    Final aim is to provoke a degree of emotion... And I think you have managed to do that when you captured this frame All you need to do in PP is eliminate distractions and highlight certain features in order to guide the viewer's eye to what is most important: the expression on the subject's face and that hand holding the arch of its foot

Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    That's fine Jon, but as I asked on this and the deer, are you applying a vignette????
    Steve, I frequently apply a vignette, I am pretty sure I did on this one, I felt it helped concentrate attention on the subject, the background was rather busy to I attempted to subdue it a little with negative Clarity and a faint vignette. I presume the vignette is too obvious to your eyes, maybe so.
    Gabriela, "Those changes he suggests may seem trivial to some but they do help create a certain aesthetic standard most of us strive to achieve." Steve is good yes and better than I am at processing but I still have my view as you indicated. I do not want to be a clone of someone else I want my own style which very often means leaving certain features in an image that others would remove or vice versa and if they are not as good as someone else's well that's fine, if theirs is better I can live with that.

8. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I frequently apply a vignette, I am pretty sure I did on this one, I felt it helped concentrate attention on the subject, the background was rather busy to I attempted to subdue it a little with negative Clarity and a faint vignette. I presume the vignette is too obvious to your eyes, maybe so.
    You are correct in that it's to draw the eye, days of B/W print, but the way you apply/choose is extremely coarse/obvious and just adds a sooty look, not an adjustment that is subtle... I would not apply it IMHO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    You are correct in that it's to draw the eye, days of B/W print, but the way you apply/choose is extremely coarse/obvious and just adds a sooty look, not an adjustment that is subtle... I would not apply it IMHO.
    As I indicated previously I had deduced that and that is hunky dory.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon — I have not seen the previous post for this image but I liked the pose and the eye contact . I feel your version is slightly dark and there are more details to be extracted . Steve’s version lifts this image and am also in agreement with the log suggestion at the rear.
    These are very animated characters and finding one in such relax pose really adds to the image. Overall I did enjoy this posting.

TFS.
    Last edited by haseeb badar; 12-13-2021 at 01:54 AM.

12. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All discussions aside,

I do like this conversational piece as Gabriela has put it, the direct eye contact and use of the fallen log to frame works nicely Jon.

TFS

Cheers
    Marc

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... a bit late to the party .

Nice typical shot and pose of this species , always love when they rest their hands on their feet making them look relaxed IMHO.
    Overall I think it does look a bit dark ... lifting it globally might help .
    Color does look quite good .
    The log in the BG is no distraction at all for me .... the rest is so clean that it does not matter at all , IMHO.

TFS Andreas