Thread: Florida Fall Snow... Better known as the weed (not) "Florida Snow"...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida Fall Snow... Better known as the weed (not) "Florida Snow"...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R6 RF 100mm f10 1/400 ISO 4000 HH, Manual EXP. Slight crop from bottom and right side for better composition.

This is a Fall/Winter Florida weed found in many lawns. While a native of Brazil and other South American countries, it is actually good for the ecosystem (prevents erosion and adds nutrients to the soil as well as supports pollinators) but seen as a pest for ruining perfectly manicured lawns with a blanket of white/pink flowers. As the lens hood was almost touching these beauties, a very narrow DOF with the ground/grass only an inch or two below. Also this was created hand held in a breeze with AI Servo and smallest single focus point.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, good sharp well detailed, DOF very good. F10 gave pretty good results, just for interest on a subject like this which is static (assuming no breeze here!) I would suggest several images at a wider aperture, i.e. stacking I don't know does the R6 have a stacking feature? If you went for the lens' widest aperture and took several images a couple of millimetres apart I think you would get a pretty mazing image. I suspect you have used some Clarity/Texture, the new masking feature in ACR/LR make selective application very simple and it is worthwhile trying higher values in subjects like this as Steve alluded to in my mushroom image posted earlier.... looking forward to some more!

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon and thanks for the inputs. Yes in PS camera raw filter (believe it has same functionality as LR) I set each of clarity, texture and dehaze to values of 3 and liked the result. Also added 3 points of black to the neautrals to make them pop a little more. The R6 does support focus stacking but I've never used it. In south Fl there is almost never still air with constant ocean breezes as was the case here. While this vine like plant stays close to the ground, it was still moving in the breeze. The fact it came out at all is a testament to the servo AF and the Image Stabilization in lens and body. I love your stacked images and will play with it on a calm day (rare here) or try in a green house. BTW, I did see and always enjoy and learn from discussions between you and Steve. Thanks again, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    David, good sharp well detailed, DOF very good. F10 gave pretty good results, just for interest on a subject like this which is static (assuming no breeze here!) I would suggest several images at a wider aperture, i.e. stacking I don't know does the R6 have a stacking feature? If you went for the lens' widest aperture and took several images a couple of millimetres apart I think you would get a pretty mazing image. I suspect you have used some Clarity/Texture, the new masking feature in ACR/LR make selective application very simple and it is worthwhile trying higher values in subjects like this as Steve alluded to in my mushroom image posted earlier.... looking forward to some more!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David you are most welcome. On the stacking , I was very surprised to see a young man over here getting sharp images of butterflies in the breeze. He used a 7D MKII and has recently bough a mirrorless camera. He manages to get super quality - sharp images even if the subject is moving. The key point of course is in which direction is the subject moving. If it is in one plane and laterally then you will be OK. He uses his elbow as a fulcrum and puts the shutter to high burst mode, manual focus on the nearest point of the subject and then as the shutter is depressed he rocks forward into the subject. He then stacks as many of the images as he needs. The computer programme of aligns the images prior to stacking so this is how the images can be stacked.
    Kutub Uddin is worth a Google he also uses or at least did this technique, I think you will enjoy looking at some of his work.

Returning to Clarity etc I find you can use it more aggressively in the masked mode in ACR/LR for subjects like flowers and mushrooms than I would for example on bird plumage. (In fact I now use it rarely on plumage because the Olympus sensor and lenses produce very sharp images, there is a different filter system on the sensor).
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 10-31-2021 at 06:09 AM.

6. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, great information and i will look him up. Having never used stacking, assumed camera and subject need to be stationary. Thanks again mate

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    David you are most welcome. On the stacking , I was very surprised to see a young man over here getting sharp images of butterflies in the breeze. He used a 7D MKII and has recently bough a mirrorless camera. He manages to get super quality - sharp images even if the subject is moving. The key point of course is in which direction is the subject moving. If it is in one plane and laterally then you will be OK. He uses his elbow as a fulcrum and puts the shutter to high burst mode, manual focus on the nearest point of the subject and then as the shutter is depressed he rocks forward into the subject. He then stacks as many of the images as he needs. The computer programme of aligns the images prior to stacking so this is how the images can be stacked.
    Kutub Uddin is worth a Google he also uses or at least did this technique, I think you will enjoy looking at some of his work.

Returning to Clarity etc I find you can use it more aggressively in the masked mode in ACR/LR for subjects like flowers and mushrooms than I would for example on bird plumage. (In fact I now use it rarely on plumage because the Olympus sensor and lenses produce very sharp images, there is a different filter system on the sensor).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty looking little flowers. I do like the colors. I could see more room for the framing.