Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Z9 and 400 f2.8

  1. #1
    BPN Member dankearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    8,719
    Threads
    1,329
    Thank You Posts

    Default Z9 and 400 f2.8

    Nikon is out with the Z9 at less money than Sony or Canon and also
    new 400 f2.8 w/ built in 1.4 tc...Kind of a dream combo I think.
    If it is is comparable, it will make those of us who stayed with Nikon
    and the 500pf pretty happy....
    Dan Kearl

  2. #2
    Super Moderator arash_hazeghi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, California, United States
    Posts
    18,372
    Threads
    1,290
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Looks like a very nice camera. Would be interesting to see how the AF performs for BIF. It doesn't match Sony in burst speed but it's priced a bit lower and much better than Canon's 20-mega pixel camera. Did you pre order ? I bet it will be sold out for a long time....

    IMO 400 f/2.8 is not a very good birding lens, it doesn't have any reach even with 1.4X. It's also heavy and big with the TC attachment....If I still had Nikon I'd hold on to the 500PF until Nikon makes the Z 600 f/4 I bet it will be lighter and more compact than the 400...
    New! Sony BIF Guide2021
    https://www.arihazeghiphotography.co...ny_guides.html


    ------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

  3. #3
    BPN Member sasan nejadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    361
    Threads
    100
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Looks like a very nice camera. Would be interesting to see how the AF performs for BIF. It doesn't match Sony in burst speed but it's priced a bit lower and much better than Canon's 20-mega pixel camera. Did you pre order ? I bet it will be sold out for a long time....

    IMO 400 f/2.8 is not a very good birding lens, it doesn't have any reach even with 1.4X. It's also heavy and big with the TC attachment....If I still had Nikon I'd hold on to the 500PF until Nikon makes the Z 600 f/4 I bet it will be lighter and more compact than the 400...
    Of course, you have to compare this camera with the R5, which is 45 megapixels, not with the R3, which is 24 megapixels, and in the end, the R5 will be much better than Nikon at $ 3,800! and weighing 700 grams. In terms of focus, it will not be the same as Alpha One and R3

  4. #4
    BPN Member dankearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    8,719
    Threads
    1,329
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasan nejadi View Post
    Of course, you have to compare this camera with the R5, which is 45 megapixels, not with the R3, which is 24 megapixels, and in the end, the R5 will be much better than Nikon at $ 3,800! and weighing 700 grams. In terms of focus, it will not be the same as Alpha One and R3
    This sounds like wishful thinking....the reviews coming out are very good on the autofocus... It appears to be a winner, I have no idea why you "know" that the R5 is better or the autofocus is not as good as Sony..
    Canon has no lens even remotely comparable to the 500pf or even the Sony 200-600.
    I have no affiliation with any brand but Canon lens are just stupid.
    the 100-500, f7,1 for $2500?
    Laughable , sorry.
    Last edited by dankearl; 11-01-2021 at 05:48 PM.
    Dan Kearl

  5. #5
    Super Moderator arash_hazeghi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, California, United States
    Posts
    18,372
    Threads
    1,290
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Sasan,
    Canon does not advertise R5 as a "pro body", and the paper spec do not tell everything. Nikon thinks the Z9 is a pro's-worth body so it competes with something like the non-existing EOS R"1" if Canon had such camera, so the closest is the R3 which also has integrated grip and advertised as a pro body. The Nikon DSLR's blew the Canon DSLR's out of the water back then, and I suspect the same is true about the mirrorless.
    New! Sony BIF Guide2021
    https://www.arihazeghiphotography.co...ny_guides.html


    ------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

  6. #6
    BPN Member sasan nejadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    361
    Threads
    100
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    This sounds like wishful thinking....the reviews coming out are very good on the autofocus... It appears to be a winner, I have no idea why you "know" that the R5 is better or the autofocus is not as good as Sony..
    Canon has no lens even remotely comparable to the 500pf or even the Sony 200-600.
    I have no affiliation with any brand but Canon lens are just stupid.
    the 100-500, f7,1 for $2500?
    Laughable , sorry.
    I respect your thoughts, but in photography it will be clear which brand is better , not by overt or covert ambassadors!!

  7. #7
    BPN Member sasan nejadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    361
    Threads
    100
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Sasan,
    Canon does not advertise R5 as a "pro body", and the paper spec do not tell everything. Nikon thinks the Z9 is a pro's-worth body so it competes with something like the non-existing EOS R"1" if Canon had such camera, so the closest is the R3 which also has integrated grip and advertised as a pro body. The Nikon DSLR's blew the Canon DSLR's out of the water back then, and I suspect the same is true about the mirrorless.
    I think the SLR era is over and there is no reason to compare to the past, Nikon has lost its customer market so far because it has no good Mirrorless camera for use, so I hope the Z9 is a good camera and the competition gets hotter. This will benefit the customers

  8. #8
    Super Moderator arash_hazeghi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, California, United States
    Posts
    18,372
    Threads
    1,290
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasan nejadi View Post
    I think the SLR era is over and there is no reason to compare to the past, Nikon has lost its customer market so far because it has no good Mirrorless camera for use, so I hope the Z9 is a good camera and the competition gets hotter. This will benefit the customers

    I have tried the R5 now a few times while I find its AF to be much better than the 1Dx series which is a joke toady, it is still inconsistent and cannot keep up with BIF against varied BGs. It’s nothing like even the older Sony A9. It still locks on the BG too often and misses the critical frame. I believe Artie used one for a while and this was his conclusion as well before he dumped it. I have no reason to believe Canon will be able to ever make something as good as Sony when it comes to BIF and I suspect Nikons Z9 is better than Canon in this regard. Of course this is my speculation. We will see. Nikon doesn’t make a half baked product they are late to the market but I suspect they want to deliver a mature product.
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 11-05-2021 at 03:28 AM.
    New! Sony BIF Guide2021
    https://www.arihazeghiphotography.co...ny_guides.html


    ------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

  9. #9
    BPN Member dankearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    8,719
    Threads
    1,329
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    The Z9 with the 500pf shoots BIF very well with the 1.4 extender according to several reviews..
    One review I watched the 500pf got good results with a 2x…
    Game changer I think, good luck with that Canon and it will give the A1 some competition.
    Last edited by dankearl; 11-05-2021 at 11:25 PM.
    Dan Kearl

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Web Analytics