Thread: Hippo - open wide...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hippo - open wide...

Attached Images Attached Images

Another one from the past, but updated. Gabriela this is down by the dam, Peter and I were having some friendly banter on who's kit would get the capture in the late afternoon... Not bad for ISO6400.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Hippo (Hippopotamus)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/8 ISO6400 EV 0
    Original format: Landscape
    Processed via: LRC 2021 (10.5) & PS2021 (22.05.1)
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Teeth, tusks, amazing... a totally different view of a hippo. I cannot see how you could improve the post processing/image. Thank you for sharing, Steve.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Details and timing look superb. To me the image looks a little on the red/magenta side, I am sure you would not have posted it knowing the colours were "incorrect" but that is my only reservation.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's awesome, Steve! You were at the dam in the afternoon...so I gather your hippo was preparing itself for a night's on-shore grazing

What lovely detail, the pink flesh inside of the mouth, those textures, the fine little hairs on the upper lip... you captured everything beautifully.

Mouth stretched to the limit, great view of those teeth and sharp tusks. BTW yawning is a sign of dominance and potentially a warning that the animal is about to charge

Looks great for ISO 6400, techs spot on, thoughtful composition, perfect colours. I like that bit of reflection too. Don't need to see the eyes when there's so much to look at

A very well processed image and it kept me glued to the screen for quite some time tonight, thank you so much for sharing Steve.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks, happy with the colours as presented Jon.

Not sure about getting ready to come ashore Gabriela, a couple were just giving off and just asserting their position, as they do.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- have you posted this before ?

Nonetheless-It has come out beautifully, i loved this one. What exceptional IQ and sharpness, feels life like. Brilliantly done.

Loved the low POV as well, great techs .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... technically very well done !!!
    Love the tones and colors ... the wide open mouth is outrageous with the wonderful structure of flesh and teeth . I might be the only one .... but I do miss at least one eye to make this really shine . As posted I am just fascinated by the technical's output !!!!
    Surprised that you have a friendly banter ... about a normal ISO value for the 1Dx II , if exposed properly no big deal , IMHO. Today Iso 6400 is not really high ... in my eyes .... even if folks in avian think it is the end of the world , maybe for some other berands than C....

Nice work Steve .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas it was three years ago and my friend was shooting D4s, rarely do you see Nikon pushing the envelope, I don’t think the Z9 will change that, Nikon is too far behind compared to Sony/Canon these days.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the bigger issue are the " operators " that cannot handle the noise .... as it might be a bit of work to deal with the noise , but today all has to be quick .... a one button click wonder with a stunning result in the ideal situation . But hey .... luckily not all are working along those lines , at least there is one gallic village that is defending the " old school " long processing way .