Thread: Jay (Garrulus glandarius)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Jay (Garrulus glandarius)

Attached Images Attached Images

Image captured in my back garden, (I was in my garden hide)
    Olympus OMD EM1X 300mm (600mm equivalent)
    ISO 800, 1/3200sec f5.6
    ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, an interesting capture and you are making the most of the the acrobatic Jays coming in.

Colour looks much better and punchy, but for me with the position of the subject isn't quite working. With the heavy/contrasty blacks and the position of the bill you just loose the definition. It's there, but it's not clear enough, because the lower beak, throat and top bill just merge into one another if that makes sense(?) and opening things up doesn't work. Having a different body angle where the head is clear but displays this action I feel would be better. I would loose the move blob behind the signature.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok thanks Steve, I have others with the acorn being tossed probably in the more anticipated pose you allude to. I confess the only reason I posted this one is because a friend of mine thought it was the best one. I agree regards the bill.... but I do think the wing position is appealing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Jon...well captured...Another with that Autumn feeling about it....Very nice colours all round and good detail on the bird....I hear Steve re the head...If you can capture one with the Jay facing you directly, this would be better, and give a good view of the head area...I think that area is 'lost' with the wing behind....Although the acorn does draw the eye...

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Very nice Jon...well captured...Another with that Autumn feeling about it....Very nice colours all round and good detail on the bird....I hear Steve re the head...If you can capture one with the Jay facing you directly, this would be better, and give a good view of the head area...I think that area is 'lost' with the wing behind....Although the acorn does draw the eye...

Will
    Thanks Will, I will post one tomorrow.