Thread: Sparrow hawk (f)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sparrow hawk (f)

Attached Images Attached Images

So... both the female and juvenile are coming in and the Female has now taken over, and is the more dominant of the two. As we get into Autumn the light is getting more unpredictable and obviously which bird arrives and when, is always the 64 million dollar question. The dark woodland BKG is down to the light and to a degree, because of some very patchy colour noise (bird perfectly exposed, BKG slightly under) I have pushed it darker within PP which personally I think emphasises the subject more too, but hey...

Shot from a hide, baited with road kill.

Thanks to those who commented or viewed the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Sparrowhawk (f) (Accipiter nisus)
    Camera: Canon EOS R5
    Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/7.1 ISO4000
    Original format: Portrait, minimal crop, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC 10.5 & PSCC 22.5.1
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i love what you have done here . It is almost a n 18th century classical painting. Feathers beautifully spread around as they would be in such a work. My only slight thing is that the end of the beak ,the rapier if you like'' is slightly lost in the darkness behind..But if you agree I know you can fix it .Either way ,perfectly lovely.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is almost a n 18th century classical painting.
    LOL, absolutely bang on point Ian, it wasn't intentional, but I was reviewing the image with a very good friend of mine and we both came to the same conclusion, so great minds. However, I felt if I had mentioned it, folk might feel that I was even more madder than usual.

Agree re the beak as there is a slight drop of saliva, but it's something that needs to be done with a light hand, appreciate the highlight, thanks.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Completely agree with Ian and I just love the dramatic feel of this frame, Steve.

Perfect HA from the bird and pose is superb ( btw, sparrow hawk looks so pleased with its prey )

Good thinking behind techs, really nice DoF. Beautiful colours and detail.
    IQ is great for ISO 4000 on the R5. Wonderful work

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

IQ is great for ISO 4000 on the R5.
    If only we had the light that most of the Avian folk have, then the outcome I feel would be far greater, but I've had to push further in future images. Probably not going to tick all the Avian check boxes, but great fun to have these encounters, although you do get the odd look when collecting the road kill.

I must admit, it was great fun to correspond whilst in the hide in real time with both and a very great friend of mine who was shooting in Kenya at the time, as we could share some thoughts and some of the camera screen shots, technology is a wonderful thing, when it works.

Thanks for commenting.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Would not change a thing! it looks to me as if a lot of time and effort went into taking the image and equally in processing. I like the pose the right foot seems to demonstrate the bird's arrogance (a bit anthropomorphic but I think you get my gist). The colours look ideal and as always the detail is excellent.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I so wish I could share with you some of the African light and wildlife! 2021 must have been a very frustrating time for you from the photography and travel POV, but I am optimistic that things will improve very soon.

As you know my situation is rather different, I lack the time. Sadly, I often drive past animals without as much as taking a few minutes to look. Still settling in my new home and work wise busy to implement some serious changes, so hopefully next year I will be able to take advantage of opportunities

And maybe who knows, for you an Africa trip ?
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it Steve....The 'darkness' sure brings an aura about it....Every picture tells a story, and this one does that, and some.......Lovely detail on the bird with a nice HA...The only thing I would have liked to see would be the raised talon in focus...but would take this any day....Nice work and TFS..

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

it looks to me as if a lot of time and effort went into taking the image and equally in processing
    Cheers Jon, in all honesty once I knew the direction I was going to have to take when shooting I could plan already what PP was going to be required, although probably the R6 would have been better, it's UK weather. I did use two raw converters, only because one is better in one performance only, this is why I have always said, that IMHO that no one Raw converter is better than the other, the all have Pro's & Cons, plus all NR is done at the raw stage. I will be interest to hear what you think of further postings, but all images are under playing the gore.

If they are around next year I'll let you know, but a bit of a drive for you, but less than Bempton.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, picking up roadkill ehhhh... like the image, quite a striking, beautiful bird. I concur with the comments already posted. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I so wish I could share with you some of the African light and wildlife! 2021 must have been a very frustrating time for you from the photography and travel POV, but I am optimistic that things will improve very soon.
    Gabriela I'm used working in all light conditions, just 'suck it up, get on with it and don't moan', but you have to experience it like Jon & Will do, however your little VT clips when driving to & from work are often very envious, I even turned an 8 day India tour next month down!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The only thing I would have liked to see would be the raised talon in focus...but would take this any day....
    Cheers Will, everything has a compromise and believe me, this camera got pushed, far more than those who use it would go, but take your point, cheers.

Hi Steve, picking up roadkill ehhhh...
    Hi Joe, it's something that the Sparrow hawk would predate on and the country lanes are full of Wood Pigeon & Game birds struck by vehicles, so the perfect meal and ultimate 'recycling'.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

My only slight thing is that the end of the beak ,the rapier if you like'' is slightly lost in the darkness behind..
    Here you go Ian.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, it's something that the Sparrow hawk would predate on and the country lanes are full of Wood Pigeon & Game birds struck by vehicles, so the perfect meal and ultimate 'recycling'.

Just teasing you...
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You got it.The next thing is .Are the eyes f

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You got it.
    Thank you, but it's not just going to basic first base ie Exposure or Shadow/HL sliders, to do it correctly you have to do a Channel Layer Adjustment/Mode blend

The next thing is .Are the eyes f
    A bit to cryptic for me Ian

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I somehow messed it up and it was sent unfinished. What I was saying was -- 'are the eyes following the viewer Leonardo'. There can be no greater compliment for your photo I think.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ian, I am humbled by your comments, not sure I can follow up with forthcoming postings of both the female and juvenile, but always nice too share images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve .... killer image
    Love the bait being all over the place at the bottom of the frame .
    Subject looks so nice in terms of processing .... to be honest I have expected nothing less than that
    Always a pleasure to view .

TFS Andreas