Thread: Camouflage

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Camouflage

Attached Images Attached Images

A Tawny Frogmouth nesting in an old stump in my backyard. They generally build a fairly rough platform of twigs and other vegetation across a fork in a horizontal branch but nothing like that available so this one went one better.
    R5 600 f4 III tripod
    1/500 f5.6 iso 800 manual
    About 605 crop
    DPP4 CCPS2021

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Something different Colin, and very interesting....I like the pose on the bird and the detail around the head looks real good.....If you can get yourself into a position making it an all green BG, this would make it a lot better IMO .....It looks a wee bit contrasty here....The trees in the BG distract me...Also if mine, I would get more of the perch in focus. if possible. What a great thing to have in yer back yard...I would be takin pics every day.....especially sunrise/sunset.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Will, appreciated. It is a tricky site to get a clean photo but I will persist. Here is an iphone shot of the tree with the nest in the broken stump part way up left side.
    There is a lot of bush behind too so getting a clean opening is also a challenge. All going well there will be chicks to photograph soon and they are pretty cute.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh boy, for sure I'd setup some sort of scaffolding (assuming this species is not sensitive enough to abandon the nest), or at the very least a sturdy ladder to bring back and forth as needed. Just to get eye-level and align with more green behind. Pretty neat to have in your backyard indeed - what a chance opportunity for days and weeks!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the cell phone image and like the image of the bird on the nest. The trees in the background do not bug me. Good to see you making sharp images. The only thing that bugs me is the light sky in the LLC.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.