Thank You Posts

Default Snipe

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 560mm
    f/16
    1/100
    ISO 3200

This is another view of a bird I posted a while back...Different pose and exposure....I got real close here and tried different exposure settings...Anyone that has photographed these secretive birds will know that when perched they are like a statue...no movement from them at all...hence the slow SS at f/16....which, gave me good detail throughout the bird...HH....ACR and PS2021

Will

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice head shot, if a bit large in the frame. light wasn't great and the colors look a bit dull and muted but I think light sucks for bird photography in most of Europe most of the time, not much you can do. Sharp with good details but some noise is also visible throughout the bird. I'd personally never go to f/16,it's a mistake IMO. The wings are still outside DOF and you just added noise. Good was BG.

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with a bit tight in the frame, but apart from that it looks good to me. Maybe a touch more contrast may "de-mute" the colours?

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it Will, it looks very realistic to me, colours look like what I would expect at this time of year.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Will, a super image, nice a clean, but to me it looks a bit cool and perhaps that is where Arash is going with his comment??????

For me you are so close in you PP, but it's that last 10% that makes all the difference. Some simple Curves Via/Sat adjustments and some more localised USM makes all the difference IMHO. In 'my take' I probably am going away from the original scene, but as soon as you make an adjustment like Exposure you are already manipulating the image, so why not just go a wee bit further and make it 'rock?'

I'd personally never go to f/16
    Arash what would you suggest in terms of DoF here, as you have shot with this kit in a previous life?
    Will, no Contrast added, it's never the tool to go to as first option, just the use of colour.
    Keep them coming.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

7. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve....Thanks for that, yes it does look more appealing.....I captured the image on a driech morning, so you can imagine what the light was like....the OP is near as what it was....I never done a lot of PP on it, but yes, I see where you are coming from to make it pop....

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Much better with Steve's editing.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

.I captured the image on a driech morning, so you can imagine what the light was like....the OP is near as what it was
    Based on 'driech' (not many folk would know you probably are right Will, but this is an ongoing conversation I have with Jon.

Most of the time we try to portray/endevour to produce our images as 'close to the actual scene', however with Digital we are no longer 'Photographers' as such, but more what folk refer to as 'Image makers'. Some of the old skills like Doging & Burning in the days of B/W film we still have with the software, but now we can just elevate our images quite easily and without going overboard or deviating away can still enhance the overall look. Yes light is the key factor and sadly across the pond, here we may not be as lucky as those who have wall to wall sunshine, (however that too can have it's own challenges), but perhaps driech days can be a good thing, more challenging for sure, but the look & feel is going to be different, but a little bit of creative thinking I think could really elevate your images. Just keeping it simple, but it's always down to some subtle tweak that just brings a bit more life back in. Perhaps over the dark Winter months it might be time to explore PS and what it can do, but mindful of not making it too complicated, tedious and image making looses its appeal.

Just my take Will.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Identical to our Wilson's Snipe. Nice details on the face and chest. Good green BG. Personally I'd have cropped to just above the dark patch of the wing touching the bottom of the frame, and add canvas at left. Anyhow, still good, and I too like Steve's rendition.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, it's cool to see such a close up on this guy.

The warmer presentation with a little sat helps. I think you could push noise reduction just a touch.

Was thinking exactly what Daniel said RE the crop when I read his comment. But overall it's a nice capture my friend!