Thread: Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Well folks your guess is as good as mine. is he retiring and getting ready for the rut or has he already engaged and now been deposed? Ii have been twice and it was the same both times, a little bellowing, just a little chasing of stag and hind but that was it. I am going again next week to see if I can get something a little more dynamic. Having said that I kind of like this image, he's just taking five and the rest of the world will just have to wait.

I did some tidying up hope it's not too apparent..... I suppose now you will go **** for leather to spot it!

Olympus: E-M1X
    Focal Length : 190.0mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 381.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 200
    Exposure compensation : -1.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/80 sec
    Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, quite a tranquil scene and who knows what's been going on previously.

It's quite a nice image but for me the crop is too tight both at the foot and to the RHS, similar to the Jay. Not sure if it's the camera ratio or your cropping but sadly both images are less attractive for it. Personally its a wee bit cold/dark and going a little warmer and having some life in the image I feel would not hurt. IQ is there for a web image, but the techs are not something I would follow in terms of SS.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

Understand what grabbed you at the scene and without any doubt I would have taken the shot as well. But for me as presented the frame is too dark, wish that bit of light was on the subject's face, at least some of it

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve Gabriela, I understand what you say and your reservations, I did in fact anticipate your comments! I agree I could have brightened things up a bit but I wanted to convey the scene as I saw it and the stag's inertia. The shutter speed was deliberately low, yes I did take images with faster speeds but as far as I can see it looks sharp enough for the web. The composition frustrated me too, I had to clean things up there was a big log bottom right which I have eliminated and if I had included any more foreground there would have been more clutter to deal with and then I think it would have been quite apparent that some patching cloning etc had been done.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, thanks for the additional info, and perhaps if this was in the original intro, both of us would have a better grasp of what the location posed. The reason I question the SS was that some folk might think shooting as low as this is good practice, hence my comment, but yes for web its fine on this posting.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon I actually liked the scene, content is great. And I think you did manage to convey it 'as it was', it's just that first thing I did after opening the thumbnail was press the F2 key on my keyboard to make it brighter.
    Maybe worth raising exposure a bit, gently bring some light on the deer? Comp is not bad, yet the work in the FG is a bit obvious - I saw it earlier, but realised it wasn't easy with not much to clone from.
    It's been tough on you, as well as Steve, with all the restrictions on travel - you must be so thirsty to go places and take new images. Hope next year you get explore new places, situation quite good at the moment in SA and overseas visitors are slowly returning
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon -- I always love to make images with a bit of environment showcased . But I feel its too dark for my taste and even though the animal is well placed in the frame, i still feel its a bit lost because of the lighting conditions. But still kudos for going with the capture.

TFS !