Thread: Osprey with catch, Catawba River, North Carolina

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Osprey with catch, Catawba River, North Carolina

Attached Images Attached Images

I caught this shot right after I was capturing a Great Egret in the shallows...he came out of nowhere!

Sony A6400, 200-600 mm G lens
    f6.3
    1/2000 sec
    ISO 1600
    600 mm
    Hand held
    Uncropped
    10/12/2021 - 10:29am
    Sun over my right shoulder

Threads
    Thank You Posts

welcome to BPN, I like the action, the image appears to be out of focus unfortunately and the opsrey was angled away from us a bit. dark BG was nice.

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Larry....Lovely scene....yes to the bird being out of focus.....Also I would crop some more from the left to leave more room in front of the bird...and I think it can do with some CW rotation......just out of curiosity where was the focus point....It is always better to get the critical focus point on the head of the bird...Keep at it, with that equipment, I am sure you will get better results...

Will

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry nothing to add, it's what I would have called a nearly shot, see the comments and I am sure you will nail it pretty quickly.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thnx for the great responses guys!

I was using the Wide focus area, which covers about 70% of the frame, so the focus point was probably on another part of the bird and not the head. I'm switching to Zone which only has 9 focus points and I will practice getting that point on the bird's head when in flight. I did try the Zone FA at first, but it was super hard at 900mm (and with the bird that close) so I reverted to Wide.

Good points on the orientation of the bird. This was the first time I captured an Osprey right after grabbing a fish out of the water, and while breaking in my new 200-600 lens, so I was pretty stoked :) But I will have other opportunities and improvement is my goal.

Thank you for the constructive feedback, very valuable to me. I don't get this on FaceBook ;)

Larry

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am not really familiar with the SOny a6400? camera but in the A1 and A9 series zone AF should easily lock and maintain focus on a white osprey against dark BG. try to pan smoothly with the bird

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Larry, I've never had the chance of seeing an Osprey catch a fish from so close - that was a pretty neat scene you got to witness! With those techs, you had enough speed to freeze the action, but you got some good advice to get the bird sharp. Keep those focus points on or near the face...and from further out like this at least on the body. If I can add something else, it;s to keep the image level. I know it is sometimes tough to do in the heat of the moment when handheld, but here are easy fixes in post to fix that too. Anyhow, keep at it, and you will see improvement with practice and experience...all part of the fun

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Larry and welcome to BPN. There is lots of great advice above. If you ever want to upgrade to an a9 ii or an a1, get in touch via e-mail. I can save you some money.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.