Thread: Waterbuck Female ( Kruger National Park)

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Waterbuck Female ( Kruger National Park)

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

Here is a female waterbuck, image captured on my last trip into the Kruger Park. They are generally skittish but this time I got lucky. Had to be extremely patient to get one in the clear, so to speak

Techs:

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 640
    F6.3
    1/3 EV
    1/2000s

Cropped a bit from all sides, I do not use any additional software so pretty straight forward PP with a number of adjustments in LR and PSCC. Not a very exciting image but nevertheless hope you like it. Critique and suggestions welcome, as well as RP's.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super quality, very clean and excellent details. The tones are well shown - good work on the nose and mouth. Nothing "wrong" with the frame but I am not too sure if you need quite so much of the shoulder/back area, I like it but wonder if a slice off the RHS would improve presentation.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, very nicely processed, you rendered the coat extremely well, lovely and thick. Agree on some off the RHS, but wonder if a bit more head turn might engage more with the viewer? I like the fact the mouth is slightly open, love the chestnut eye.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much for viewing and for your kind comments, Jon and Steve.

I have a number of images of this species which I will share over the next few months. Chose to process this particular one the other night because I liked the clean background.

Completely agree with you about composition but somehow I did not really have a choice, tried to avoid some unsightly grasses on the LHS and at the same time did not want to end up with a square crop (by taking off too much off the right side). So a compromise

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The BKG works well and adds, it’s not a single colour, but a simple mottled one and tonally being light but in a similar colour range just creates a very pleasing colour palette.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve, indeed you are right, it just works
    Must say they were hard work those waterbuck, as soon as one got close and slowed down they started moving away. So a great joy for me to manage a few frames.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- I hope you are doing fine.

What a beauty , loved the IQ, this makes me want to go to Africa , badly missing the place , the people , the wildlife.

I loved the BKG and the details are super fine. Loved the muted colours as well. Very well done.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Haseeb!

So glad to hear from you! I am well, hope you too, together with your lovely family

Thank you so much for viewing and comments, much appreciated. Africa is waiting for you, lots of wildlife to see and photograph, hope you return soon!

We miss you here in the Widlife Forum. You must have some images you haven't shared yet, take a look at those folders see if you can find something...

Kind regards
    Gabriela Plesea