Thread: Sparrow hawk (f) close-up

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sparrow hawk (f) close-up

Attached Images Attached Images

A rather 'pedestrian' shot of this gorgeous female Sparrow hawk, but I just wanted to capture the beauty and detail of this raptor.

Normally a very shy bird that does not tolerate folk, but she has got used to any shutter noise, whilst feeding on road kill put out. Here, she was feeding for herself and what we thought was a youngster too, proved to be correct. Recently the juvenile has been coming down to feed, moving the female off, but over the last week or so the tables have turned, but both will not tolerate the two grey squirrels that lurk and will fly if they get too close. Hopefully a more menacing and interesting images will follow....

Shot from a hide, baited with road kill.

Thanks to those who commented or views the last posting

Steve

Subject: Sparrowhawk (f) (Accipiter nisus)
    Camera: Canon EOS R5
    Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO1250
    Original format: Landscape, minimal crop
    Processed via: LRCC 9.4 & PSCC2020
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely detailed, was the background intrusive, just wondered why it is black?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, it’s a mixture of dropping the exposure to retain the whites and the way the BKG naturally is dark. The lighting is what it is because there is no knowing when the SH will arrive, so as the sun swings round you just have to take what you get sadly. IMHO it does actually enhance the scene and the subject has good separation. Hopefully this may be expanded on in the coming weeks here…
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

I think it's awesome that you managed to get so close and the dark background helps the subject stand out beautifully.

Pose is great and I love the details and colours, eye is superb. Sharpness is there and IQ looks good. Cannot wait to see the rest of the images!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, it’s been fun and as you know, some early starts and long hours, but you have to put the time in. You have seen in real time what’s been shot and so fingers crossed it all works out, but I have pushed the R5 very hard, far more than I would and certainly more than anyone else here has with the R5, just need to see the parameters. Fingers crossed, it all works out, BbBTW LPeter has uploaded a quick video if you fancy a look… ��

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jealous of the time you manage to put in and those lovely images you are getting with the R5. Going to ask my suppliers to lend me a Z9 but I think there's a long queue and I will have to wait a while.
    Will certainly have a look at Peter's video, thank you Steve.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jealous of the time you manage to put in and those lovely images you are getting with the R5.
    HAHA Gabriela, this recent time the R5 bit back when I pushed it, because only until you know your parameters with your camera can you know what you can & cannot do. We sadly don't have wall to wall sunshine, oh what a joy to shoot ISO800 and below, so IMHO it's key when yo use bodies like the R5. Personally if it's your only camera body and with the climate we have, the R6 would be the go to body, or R3. I might expand on the next posting, but on some new images, two raw converters had been deployed because one is far better at NR, but it's nothing anyone here uses.

Will certainly have a look at Peter's video, thank you Steve.
    Glad you could access it, just gives you a glimpse into the location, he went the following day that had sunshine, I had thick cloud. Think he will be in SA before me sadly, or thought he keeps suggesting we do something together, but I like my luxury at times . If the Lions come off in Kenya then his Drone expertise will be in high demand ie number count and....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I might expand on the next posting, but on some new images, two raw converters had been deployed because one is far better at NR, but it's nothing anyone here uses.

Let me see those new images please
    Hope I won't need too much NR...summer around the corner, nice light...

Glad you could access it, just gives you a glimpse into the location, he went the following day that had sunshine, I had thick cloud. Think he will be in SA before me sadly, or thought he keeps suggesting we do something together, but I like my luxury at times . If the Lions come off in Kenya then his Drone expertise will be in high demand ie number count and....[/QUOTE]

Peter has been bitten by the Africa bug, I knew he'll be looking for ways to come back
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, everyone who visits Africa will always get the bug, sadly we never have enough time to really explore and enjoy what it has to offer, we not scrap the surface.

10. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post