Thread: A Swiss Alpine Marmot

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Swiss Alpine Marmot

Attached Images Attached Images

Primarily it was two weeks of hiking in September, so packing very limited photo kit, but the backpack always weighed in around 20kgs with clothing, camera, and other essentials for a day in the mountains.

Theses guys were located around the old foundations of the cable car pylons, but unlike the tame Austrian ones where you can use a 16-35 wide angle, these had a threshold of around 20-25m comfort zone. Therefore the only way to approach was after they dived down into their burrows, move to a good vantage point and then when they would surface, you need to be very quiet and still, eye sight is pin sharp as raptors are their main enemy.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Marmot (Marmota marmota)
    Camera: Canon EOS R5
    Lens:EF EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III HH
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/8 ISO2500 EV 0
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRC 2021 (10.4) & PS2021 (22.05.0)
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes good shot I like everything composition colours pose, as usual details very good.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your patience paid off, Steve!

Cute little Marmot and nice calling pose. Frame well exposed. What I like most about this image is that one can see the entrance of the burrow which gives a bit of context, so good planning...

Well processed with good colours, techs look good too, the little fella is sharp with nice detail. I appreciate how difficult it must be to capture this species on camera and can just imagine the marmots disappear down a burrow and pop up from another...a bit like the whistling rats of the Kalahari

Enjoyed viewing, Steve. Hope there's more from this trip, have you seen any little ones too and did you manage to capture some interaction?

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Your images have that so amazing IQ and subtle colours that I always enjoy viewing them.

I liked the framing , giving the sense of environment, nice details , and loved the soft tones.

Nicely done.

TFS !