Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/2000 sec
    Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is that an Acorn he is swallowing? Had no idea this species would swallow that whole. Love the low POV and light

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Bowman View Post
    Is that an Acorn he is swallowing? Had no idea this species would swallow that whole. Love the low POV and light
    Hi Kurt yes it's an acorn, very few available this year, this was one from the previous year it had been stored in a freezer. They swallow several then take them and stash them for winter.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, were you kneeling, or was this from the hide? Light appears to be quite bright, but you handled the HL's well with nice detail. I think being bang in the centre with the beak/acorn you have much too little on the RH trim, with Animal Eye Detection you could have moved the whole crop to the right and below without loosing focus lock. Darkening the lower quarter and adding a Curves and luminosity blend layer just pulls out a bit more tonal range and creates more depth.

Your call, but I would blend the diagonal stripe in the top part of the BKG as it almost disappears down the beak.

Glad you got some light, yesterday for me was appalling, but the subject was awesome!!!

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, the light was as usual rather variable in the garden at this time of year, I used my usual garden hide. The composition will be tight, that is what I have to play with unless I add canvas. I did indeed lower the highlights in the foreground. The diagonal stripes for me stay as I really don't care for featureless plastic backgrounds, I feel it is rare to see a subject with the naked eye and not appreciate anything at all in the background. I have plenty more images with acorns in mid air, I will review them before posting. I was pleased to see that I appear to have eliminated the "shelf" effect.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The composition will be tight, that is what I have to play with unless I add canvas.
    So what you are saying is, is that with this kit, you only have one central Focus Point which cannot be moved?

The diagonal stripes for me stay as I really don't care for featureless plastic backgrounds, I feel it is rare to see a subject with the naked eye and not appreciate anything at all in the background.
    Just blend or reduce the strength, very simple as it just looks a bit contrived angled towards the throat, but your call. Would certainly not impact on the current backdrop.

I was pleased to see that I appear to have eliminated the "shelf" effect.
    No idea on the 'shelf' effect, must be a camera club saying.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nope, the Focus is AI Tracking so there are 120 or so points.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

So why didn’t you move the whole framing right and slightly down, I'm just confused Jon???? Are you just simply saying, it was an error in framing and any additional space would need to be added through added canvas. Just trying to understand Jon, or probably just being a bit slow.
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 10-15-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

To make the image more presentable from a compositional point of view I would have to have done a Photoshop reconstruction and I didn't want to do that.